Fixing of a Heart

A/N: you'll know when to play the music! (important to set the mood)

========================

Prom had finally arrived. The day where every single girl dreamt of: wearing beautiful dresses with their best friends, dolling up and going to prom with their other half. However, I was not that lucky. I was not going to prom with my loved one or dolling up. As much as I would love to go to prom with Riley, we still had not made up after the fight we had.

The days after the fight was tormenting. I would see him in the hallways and in class and I had to pretend that he wasn't there at all. He tried catching my attention a few times but after seeing how uncooperative I was towards him, his trial and errors slowly dwindled to a zero.

 However, there was something I was looking forward to. I found a beautiful dress from my mother's old closet filled with dresses -- my Dad refused to throw anything related to my Mom out. I didn't say that we truly moved on but we moved on enough to get on with our daily lives. Anyway, if he did throw the dresses away, I wouldn't be able to be twirling around in my mother's dress. I wouldn't feel as confident without it. And confidence -- and luck -- was something I needed.

The dress was not much though. It's just a simple white dress that flows all the way down to my ankles but it meant the world to me. Simple it might be but as long as it was my mom's, it could mean all of the world's jewels to me.

I looked at myself in the mirror with my hair in waves with a golden clip at the side to give me a side swept look. It's simple but it's not as if I wanted to blow someone away. I was betting that no matter how I looked, Riley was not going to be that impressed. After he gave up, I heard that he found a prom date. It was the number 1 buzz in school for the past few days. Everyone was speculating who his prom date was. And yes, I admit, I wanted to know. But judging from his taste, I bet it was someone downright gorgeous. If that's the case, then there wasn't any reason for me to knock him off his feet anymore.

I shouldn't be worrying about all of these pesky little problems though. Exams are finally over and soon, it'd be graduation and I'd be saying a true good bye to the school that I'd been going to for the past four years. It was going to be time to let go of my past.

I slowly descended down the stairs when I heard the doorbell ring. I opened the door to see a dashing Alex in his navy blue tuxedo to match my dress. "Hey the ever so good looking, Alex," I smiled politely, opening the door a little wider to allow myself to get out. If only I fell for Alex instead of Riley. I would've been on top of the world to open the door to look at the love of my life. I was grateful that Alex wanted to take me to prom when he could've taken someone else but I just wished that I was going with someone I loved.

"You know, it's prom and it comes once in a lifetime. The least you can do is to at least doll up a little."

"Hey, I did my hair and placed a golden pin in there. It was hard work! This is as dolled up as I'll ever get."

"Don't you want to look even prettier and glamorous with make up on?"

"No, it wastes too much time and I don't want my face to be caked. Besides, what about natural beauty?"

"Man, why did I even ask you to prom?" He groaned jokingly.

"Because I'm the awesomest girl alive and you know that you'll have a great time with me."

He shook his head at me and offered me his arm. I took his arm and allowed him to escort me to his car.

Soon, we reached the hotel that we're hosting our prom at. It was absolutely elegant the whole design of the ballroom. It was based on a masquerade theme that was beyond amazing. When I found out that the theme was masquerade, I was over the moon. What's better than putting on masks in addition to our daily masks and pretend to be someone else? And anyway, didn't the most magical and wonderful moments happen when there was a masquerade?