Chapter 4

It's been about two hours and Jason has Olive laughing so hard that I'm scared she might pass out from the lack of oxygen.

"How... is that... possible?" Olive asks between breaths.

"I don't know!" Jason yells.

We are sitting at a bar downstairs and Jason has had about four to five beers, so he has no idea what is coming out of his mouth. Olive thinks it's hilarious. I do too, but I mostly laugh because of Olive. Her laugh is extremely contagious.

Olive has had three beers. I've been counting. She is sipping another, but I'm afraid that she won't be able to hold it in very well. Not just because she is laughing so hard, but also because she is starting to sway.

"I've never done that before!" She yells and starts to lean off to the side. We are at a round table for three so there isn't anyone for her to lean on. She doesn't seem to notice so she keeps leaning.

I reach out quickly and put my hand on the side of her head. She leans on it and closes her eyes for a few seconds. Jason nudges me and I look over at him making a face. He raises his eyebrows and smiles looking at Olive then back at me. I roll my eyes and shake my head.

"How did I end up being the only sober one?" I think. I look back at Olive to see her looking at me.

"Is Luke good guy?" She asks, missing words and slurring slightly.

"Do you think he is?" I ask gently.

"I don't know anymore..." She mumbles, resting her hand on my wrist that is holding her up.

"Gosh. Can she be any more innocent?"

"Why not?" I ask, scooting my chair closer because my arm is starting to get tired.

"Everyone says he gonna cheat on me," she says, slurring again and her lip starts to shake.

"Don't listen to them," I say, scared she might cry.

"What will I do if she cries? She was just laughing a minute ago." I start to freak out. I look over at Jason to see him passed out. Great.

"But what if he cheats on me? I would be known as another one of his screw overs..." Olive mumbles and I look back at her to see a tear roll down her cheek. No no no. She's crying.

"Hey... don't cry about it," I say softly, scooting all the way over to her and wiping away the stray tear.

"Why not? I'm already screwed!" She yells slightly and I look into her eyes.

"Olive. There might be a chance that he doesn't cheat on you. You might be the one he stays loyal to. But, if he does, you have to pretend like it doesn't hurt you. You can't show him you lost. Pretend like you won and that he has no effect on you okay?" I ask and Olive looks at me teary eyed.

"What if I can't hold it back?" She asks and I wipe away another tear that has fallen onto her cheek.

"You can come to me. I'll be there for you. You can cry all you want. You can scream. You can punch one of my pillows. We can watch movies and eat junk food until you feel 100% better," I say. I can't believe I'm saying this.

"Really?" She asks and I nod.

"Really. But remember that it's possible that he might not cheat on you," I say, and she nods, sitting up straight again then slouching.

"Would you break up with me?" She asks and my heart rises to my throat.

"W-why?"

She looks down. "Everyone breaks up with me."