Chapter 10

Today's the day. The day I go on a "date" with Mateo. I'm making my way through the hallway towards the door where I'm supposed to pick him up and see him leaning against the window. He looks the same as he did yesterday. Tall, ripped black jeans, sneakers, black hair falling in front of his eyes, and a dark shirt on. He has his phone pulled out and is typing something quickly.

"Ready?" I speak up and he jumps slightly and turns around.

"Uh, yeah," he says, and I nod while walking out the door. I had to remind Jason not to pick me up today so I can drive my own car. It'd be awkward if Jason had to drop Mateo and I off at Subway.

"How's debate?" I ask and look to see him giving me a confused look.

"How did you know I take debate?"

"A friend of mine recognized your name when I said it yesterday," I say and grab my keychain from my pocket once my car comes into view.

He shrugs. "Oh well... it's alright."

"What do you guys do?" I ask.

"Right now, we're just testing how well we can argue so then the teacher can pair us off and then we can start challenging each other," he explains, and I unlock the doors, heading to the driver's seat.

"Oh. So, can you argue?" I ask and Mateo heads over to the passenger seat with a nod.

"I try. I never really argue on a normal day-to-day basis, but on the rare occasions that I do, I normally win. Even if I'm wrong."

I laugh and slide into the seat. "I hate arguing with people."

"It relieves stress for me." He turns on the radio, getting comfortable. "Other people in the class do it for practice if they ever need to argue with someone, but I just like being able to see what responses I can get from people and find out what kind of things I can come up with on the spot."

I pull out of my parking spot and make my way to the main street. "Are you in any other electives or sports?"

"Not really." He hums softly while he thinks. "Probably going to do drama next year because debate is kind of a one-time thing for me. If drama doesn't do well for me, then I'll have to start thinking of a sport." He looks out the window.

"What sports do you like?" I ask.

"Not sure. My mom played tennis, but I have the world's worst hand-eye coordination." He chuckles. "My older brother plays soccer, but I'm a klutz. My dad played baseball, but... that's just too much for me."

"Ever thought of track?" I ask and he nods.

"Once or twice. I just don't know what I'd be good at in a track event."

An idea pops into my head. "Can you jump?"

"Oh, I can jump. I have a trampoline in my backyard, and I do stunts on it or on the ground," he says, and I smile.

"You could try long jump," I suggest, and he turns to a different radio channel.

"Long jump?"

"Yeah. I do cross country first semester and long jump second semester. You can always come and try it out, even if you don't pick track. The coach is super supportive and will be open to having a new jumper next semester or next year," I explain and see his face brighten at the thought.

"Really? I mean... I don't know if I'd be the best at it..." He mumbles.

I scoff and shrug off his statement. "Don't worry about being the best. Wait. That's hypocritical. I aim for the best, but that's beside the point. You're going to be a sophomore next year, so you don't push yourself to be the best. You can get hurt because of that. Just take your time and you'll get farther and farther every time," I encourage, and he smiles.