Chapter 8

I wake up the next morning to my phone ringing and slowly sit up to reach for it. I rub my eyes and look at the caller ID to see its Ray.

"Ray? Why is he calling me...? At 6 in the morning?" I groan before hitting accept and putting the phone to my ear.

"Hey Ray, what's up?" I ask and Ray laughs.

"Did I wake you up? Sorry man," he says, and I shrug to myself.

"Don't worry about it. Is everything alright?" I ask and he clears his throat.

"I'm actually calling to give you a warning," he states, and my heart rate goes up.

"A warning?"

"Yeah... Luke was talking to me late last night about the fight coming up. He says he can tell you're actually getting prepared for it, and he didn't mention this, but I'm guessing it's giving him the nerves," he takes in a breath and sighs. "He's been going to a trainer that specializes in physical combat for about a week now and I just wanted you to know that the chances of you winning are getting smaller and smaller.... sorry. This is just going to pressure you."

"Hmm...." I hum and Ray sighs again.

"I want you to win badly, but the chances aren't going to your side."

"I have to beat him...." I mumble while laying back down.

"You really do. If it doesn't go your way, I can always hook you up with some pretty girls I know," he suggests, and I laugh.

"Nah that's okay. Olive will be on my mind and I guess I just don't want to force anything."

"True true. Hey... if you want, maybe I could train you a bit," he says, and I lift my head up and set it on my palm.

"How so?"

I hear shuffling in the background. "I have an old punching bag in my basement that I used to use last year. I could give you a few pointers on how and where to hit Luke," he explains, and I think for a few seconds.

"Is it free?" I ask and he chuckles.

"For you? Totally."

***

I wake up again a few hours later and grab my phone to see it's 9:36 am. I sigh and roll over, stretching my back. I agreed to let Ray give me a few lessons over at his house around three so that leaves me with time to go to the gym to wake myself up.

I get out of bed and take off my shirt, replacing it with a black, dry fit t-shirt and pull on grey joggers. I go into my bathroom, brush through my hair, put contacts in, brush my teeth, and put deodorant on. I go downstairs and grab an apple out of the fruit bowl and my keys to head out.

"Woah woah woah. Hold up, mister." I hear a voice behind me and turn to see my mom walking in.

"Oh hey, mom," I say, smiling and she walks up, giving me a hug, which surprises me at first, but I hug her back quickly.

"You're looking stronger and stronger every day," she points out as she pulls away.

"Ah..." I sigh embarrassed and she smiles.

"Going to work out?"

I shrug. "I guess so. Ray invited me over so he can show me his punching bag," I explain, and she raises an eyebrow.

"Well, that's a name I haven't heard in a while."

"Ray and I met up at the party I went to last night. I guess we both miss hanging out," I say, and she nods before patting my shoulder.