Chapter 16

My thumb hovers over her name for a second longer before I toss my phone next to me.

"I can't talk to her. That was the deal."

Just then the doorbell rings. I lay in bed and listen as my heart bangs against my ribcage. After a few minutes I hear my dad yell from downstairs.

"Ax! Someone's here to see you!"

I take in a breath and sit up with a wince.

"Give me a second!" I yell as I start to rip off the ice wrapped around my midsection. I stand up and hiss when my knee sends pain up and down my leg. I limp over to my closet and throw the ice on my floor before grabbing my old, black hoodie and heading down the stairs.

"Who is it?" I ask while pulling on the sweatshirt. I reach the middle of the stairs when Olive appears at the bottom. I pause and she just stands there silently. I watch as her eyes scan me and land on my bruised stomach. I quickly pull my hoodie down and lean against the railing.

"Hey..." She mumbles and I look down at my feet.

"Hey.." I mumble back and we stand in silence.

"I... I came to see if you were okay," she says and I look up to see her looking back at me.

"I'm okay..." I mumble and she rubs her hands together.

"Uh- Luke said the reason you two fought was too personal for me to know and I was wondering if you think the same thing," she says and I run a hand through my hair.

"If he can't tell you then I can't either," I say and she looks down at her feet.

"Was it about me?" She asks softly and I feel my heart drop.

"I can't say anything..."

"Do you want to talk in my room?" I ask, looking around to see lights on in the kitchen and hear the voices of the rest of my family.

"Sure..." Olive mumbles and I motion for her to follow and she does. After limping up the steps, I open up my door and push the ice off to the side with my foot.

"Why did you fight him?" I hear her ask and turn to her to see her shutting the door and turning to me.

"Olive... I can't tell you anything," I say and she looks up at me with tears in her eyes.

"How am I supposed to just sit here and watch two people that I care so much about fight and not be able to know why? Seeing you on the ground today like that and seeing Luke wince whenever I would touch him kills me, Axton. How am I supposed to be okay with this?" She asks and as she speaks I walk slowly, getting closer to her.

"I-I want to know why Axton. Please, I'll do anything to know why Luke would ever lay a hand on you. You haven't done anything to him or at least I don't think you have. I don't think that I can just go back to talking to you and him when I know that you're both hiding something from me. Please Ax..." She's crying by this point and I reach out and pull her into a hug, ignoring the aches coming from my body.

"I'm sorry..." I mumble and she grips the back of my hoodie. I hear her sniff and feel her press her face into my shoulder. I hold her close, knowing this would be the last time and listen to her cry.

"Please..." Her voice is muffled by my hoodie and I sigh, feeling tears come to my own eyes as I pull away from her.

"I can't tell you Olive. It pains me to say this and I'm sorry it has to be this way, but I can't continue to talk to you..." I mumble the last part and have to look off to the side to avoid the hurt in her eyes.