Chapter 26

"So, how are we going to do this?" Jason asks as we all sit on the couches surrounding the Christmas tree.

"Well...." I mumble, unsure what exactly we are going to do.

"Should we do one person hands out their gifts to everyone and then once everyone opens them we go to the next person?" Sarah asks.

"That sounds like a good idea," Ray says and I look around to see everyone nodding their heads in agreement.

"Then that's what we're going to do," I say and then we're back to silence.

"Who's going first....?" Olive mumbles quietly and I chuckle at how quiet things are.

"Let's do youngest to oldest," I state and Olive hits my arm playfully.

"That's only so you can go last," she says and I smile down at her, but shake my head.

"Ray and Maddie are older than me."

She turns to Ray. "When was your birthday?"

"September 28th," Ray says with a shrug and she frowns.

"I wasn't invited to your birthday party," she pouts playfully and Ray rolls his eyes.

"We barely knew each other and I spent it with my family and Maddie," he says and Olive looks at Maddie.

"When was your birthday?"

"November 17th," she states and Olive throws up her arms.

"I feel awful for not saying happy birthday! Tell me your birthday is coming up at least," she says looking at Sarah.

"Mine's February 23rd," Sarah states and Olive sighs.

"Thank God."

I smile before motioning around with my hands. "So the order will go Sarah, Olive, Jason, Me, Maddie, and Ray."

"I'm fine with that," Maddie says and Sarah shrugs.

"Well, hopefully you all like my presents..." She mumbles, going to sit in front of the tree.

"I bet we will," Olive says and we watch as Sarah pulls out all of her presents. She hands them out quickly then we decide to take turns opening them.

Everyone opens their presents from Sarah and after Ray and Maddie open their gifts from Olive, Olive hands me mine.

My heart races as I rip the paper away. I open up a small box to see three packages of popcorn, a box of Milk Duds, a soft grey t-shirt that says MOVIE TIME with popped popcorn all around it, and a black neck pillow.

"Movie kit," Olive explains and I chuckle.

"I'm going to have to find new movies to watch," I say, reaching down to give her a hug.

"If you need recommendations, I got you," she says returning my hug. She gives me a little squeeze before we let go and the others continue opening their presents.

Soon it's my turn and Olive decides to go first. I hand her her gift and she takes it excitedly. She rips off the wrapping paper and unfolds the first items. The first item is a light blue crop sweater that cuffs at the sleeves and the second is black ripped skinny jeans that I pray Maddie got the right size of. In between them is a small box and she carefully opens the lid to reveal a necklace with a crystal-like snowflake on the end.

"Oh my gosh... this is so cute," she says and I smile.

"I thought it was nice since we went ice skating a little while ago and I guess it works perfectly for today too," I explain and she smiles widely.