Chapter 21

The hockey team makes it's way out of the rink and Olive and I stand off to the side waiting for it to clear. The last person walks out and we don't budge until the door closes behind them, leaving us alone.

"You go first," I state and Olive chuckles.

"Okay then," she responds before walking through the hatch on the side of the rink. I watch her carefully as she holds onto the side wall and slowly starts to skate away from me. She's a little shaky and I take in a breath as I do the same as her. I walk onto the ice and hold onto the wall tightly. I take a few steps while trying to control the shake of my legs and take a quick look up to see Olive starting to let go of the side. I regret instantly looking up because the next thing I know, I'm on my butt. I groan and lay back on the cold ice.

"I give up!" I yell and hear Olive laugh.

"You haven't even been on the ice for more than a minute!" She exclaims and I lift my head to see her skating carefully to me.

"Exactly! And I've already fallen on my butt,"'I say and she runs into the wall next to me, stopping herself.

She reaches out her hands. "Try again."

"I don't want to," I say like a child and she giggles softly, leaning easily against the wall.

"Axton, get up," he says and I look up at her while pushing my glasses back in place.

"Make me."

She rolls her eyes before going around me to my head and reaching down and grabbing my wrists. I watch her intently and raise an eyebrow, curious about what she's going to do. Before I know it, she's dragging me to the middle of the rink.

"Woah woah woah. I need the wall," I say and look at the wall slowly getting further from me.

"No you don't," she states and I scoff and let her drag me the rest of the way. Once we're to the middle she lets go and my arms flop onto the ice.

"Now what?" I ask, not budging.

"Get up," she says with her hands on her waist.

"You see, without the wall I can't get up," I say and her face doesn't change.

"Trust me. You want to get up," she says and I scoff.

"Why is that?"

"Because, I'll let you hold my hand," she teases and I pause for a few moments.

"Deal," I state, sitting up as she chuckles.

"Really? That's all it takes?" She asks and I get onto my knees.

"Uh. Yeah," I say and reach my hands out.

"You really are like a child," she says, grabbing my hands. I gasp and and tilt my head.

"Me? A child?" I ask, slowly rising to my feet.

"Yes. You are a child," she says and I smile innocently.

"If I am a child, what does that make you?" I ask and she begins to pull one of my hands causing my skates to go forward on the ice.

"Not a child," she states and I look down at my feet. I look at hers to see them taking easy strides, leaving light marks on the ice. I try to follow her movements with mine and start to wobble causing my grip on her hand to tighten slightly.

"This is stupid."

"No it's not. It's really easy," Olive responds and I feel one of my feet slip after I try to speed up. I start to lose my balance and both my feet start slipping around on the ice. I hear Olive laughing as she grips my hand tighter as her other hand grips my forearm.