Chapter 5

About five minutes later, I'm pulling into the police station and walking through the glass, double doors.

"How can I help you, sir?" A lady asks at the front desk.

"I'm here to get Olive Janson," I explain, and she nods, typing on her computer. She asks me a few questions and I pay a fee before she tells me to wait in the waiting room. I walk over to one of the chairs and sit down. I check the time and it reads 1:28 a.m.

"What? 1:28? I was supposed to be home by 12! My mom is going to kill me..." I panic inside my head. "I'll just tell her the truth. I had to drop Jason off at his house and bail a friend out of jail. How hard can that be?"

"Axton." I hear someone say my name and look up to see Olive walking out, holding all her belongings in a plastic bag.

"Hey. Are you okay?" I ask, standing up and walking to her.

"Yeah. More angry than upset though," she says, and I frown.

"I'm sorry about Luke."

"I'll give him a piece of my mind once I'm home," she says, and I nod.

"Are you ready to go?" I ask and she nods.

"Thank you so much, Axton," she says, looking up at me sincerely while we walk out to the car.

"It's nothing. Just be careful with Luke," I warn, and she nods again.

"I know. I still like him even after he left me," she says.

I mentally groan. "You do?"

"Yeah. His parents are stricter than mine, so I can see why he wanted to leave immediately," she says.

"But he left you.... with the cops," I say and unlock the doors.

"I know. As I said, I will talk to him tonight," she says, and I nod, going over to my side of the car. I turn to look at Olive, but don't see her walking to the other side.

"Oli-" I'm about to call out her name but stop when I feel arms wrap around my waist.

"Thank you... again." I listen to her voice behind me.

"For?" I ask, looking down at her hands.

"Bailing me out. They only offered me one call and I didn't want to call anyone else," she says, and I turn around in her arms.

"You don't need to thank me for that. Anyone would do it," I say, and she nods.

"We probably look like a couple standing here like this," I think, feeling my cheeks warm up.

"True. Well, I guess I'm thanking you for tonight," she says.

"Tonight?" I ask and she looks up at me.

"For listening to my drunk self and for... the kiss," she mumbles the last part, but I hear her clearly.

"Oh yeah... that," I mumble, and she looks down while letting me go.

"I'm sorry if you thought I was rushing you or anything. I mean, we just met," she says and laughs, embarrassed.

"I can forget about it if you want me to. You like Luke and I should have told myself to pull away," I say, and she looks back up at me.

"I'm sorry," she says. I shake my head.

"Don't be. We'll just say you were drunk and I uh..." I trail off, not knowing an excuse to use on why I would kiss her.

"You pitied me," Olive speaks up for me.

"I didn't pity you," I state, and she laughs.

"I wasn't that drunk," she retorts and then I laugh.