Chapter 9

"A wheelchair... wait what?"

"Mrs. Janet?" I ask and then regret asking.

"Of course, this is Mrs. Janet. What am I thinking?"

"Hi, Axton. Surprised?" Ray's mom speaks up.

I shrug and walk closer to her. "I just didn't expect to see you... like this..."

She smiles sadly. She opens her arms and I quickly go in for a hug. "Got in a car accident last week. Nothing life-threatening obviously, but I will be in this awful thing for maybe another three weeks," she explains when we pull away. I nod and look at her trying to see what's wrong.

"No casts and no braces..."

"What's wrong? You seem to be fine," I state, and she motions to her hip.

"Forgot my seatbelt and got thrown into my steering wheel. Got a good crack in my hip somewhere so they had to put in some bolts to keep it in place. Once these three weeks are over my hip should be back to normal, but I will need to take medications and go see the doctor every now and then. I have to do little stretches every night so I will be ready to be up and moving when I'm ready," she explains, and I nod before she wheels around the counter to the pantry.

"Man... I'll remember to be more cautious and have my seatbelt on," I state, and she chuckles, wheeling back out with a plate on her lap. On the plate are her famous cookies with the Hershey's kisses in the middle. I instantly start to drool. Of course, mentally drooling.

"Ray told me you were coming over, so I just thought it'd be nice to give you two some treats while you hang out." She hands the plate to Ray. "It's been a while since I've seen your face Ax. You're looking good."

My ears heat up. "I'm pretty sure you're the second person to say that to me today," I mumble embarrassed and Ray laughs before grabbing a cookie. I do the same.

"Who was the first?" He asks.

"Olive," I shrug, and Ray drops his cookie.

"Olive?" Mrs. Janet asks, and I smile while taking a bite of the delicious looking treat.

Ray bends down and picks up the cookie. "When did you see Olive?"

"At the gym this morning. We went to get lunch at the new restaurant downtown," I explain and Ray smirks, causing me to rub my neck even more embarrassed.

"Ooo..." Ray mumbles and I hit him on the shoulder which makes him chuckle.

"I remember that name. Olive... that's the girl you liked right?" Mrs. Janet asks, and I huff quietly.

"Correction. Like. I still like her," I say, and Mrs. Janet smiles her soft smile.

"So, you haven't asked her out yet?" She asks and I nod, looking at my fingers that hold the half-eaten cookie.

"She got asked before I could get the chance," I explain and Mrs. Janet sighs.

"Well... stick with her. If you stay with her, I'm sure she will figure out what she's missing," she says, and I smile.

"Yes, ma'am," I state, and her cheeks turn pink.

"Ah, such a charmer. Go! Go hang out." She points to the stairs. "I'll be up here if you need anything."

"Thanks, Momma!" Ray yells and we run downstairs. Nostalgia hits me as I enter the basement where Ray and I used to wrestle, play video games, and have fun together. It hasn't changed other than the couch is now against the wall and two sofa chairs take its place.