Chapter 14

I wake up the next morning and I sit up in bed to see the sun shining through my window.

"Wait. Sun?"

I reach over quickly and grab my phone. 8:34 am. I scramble out of bed and run out of my room, down the stairs.

"Mom!" I yell and run into the kitchen to see her standing behind the counter with powder on her nose and apron.

"Oh, you're awake," she says and I stare at her.

"Care to explain why no one woke me up?" I ask while watching her as she continues to put ingredients into a big bowl.

"I texted Jason saying that I was going to let you sleep in today and then I would bring you to school after lunch," she explains and I throw my arms around in the air.

"Why?"

She laughs before setting everything down and walking around the counter. "I just thought that since you've been working hard lately, while keeping your grades up, that we, as a family, could go out and have lunch together before we send you kids off to school."

"And we can't do that on a day we don't have school?" I ask and she shakes her head.

"Your dad and I are going out of town this weekend and Drew is working double shifts, so he doesn't have time over the weekend to go out with everyone. Don't worry, I already called the school saying you and your sister won't be at school until after lunch due to a personal family matter," she says and I blink my eyes a few times.

"A personal family matter... They're going to think something bad happened," I state and she shrugs.

"So let them think that."

I laugh. "Where are we going to eat lunch at?"

"I was thinking Spangles. Does that sound alright?" She asks and I nod.

"That sounds good to me. Is everyone else still asleep?" I ask and she nods while going back around the counter to where her ingredients are all laid out.

"Yeah. I'm making muffins so we have something to eat for breakfast tomorrow. Want to join or do you want to go back and sleep for a little bit?" She asks.

"Let me brush my teeth and then I'll come down and join you," I state and she nods before I run back up the stairs to my bathroom.

"And put on a shirt!" I hear mom yell and I look down to see that I'm only wearing my black, Nike sweatpants. Oops.

I enter my bathroom and look in the mirror to see my hair ruffled every which way and my eyes still puffy. I reach down and grab my toothbrush and toothpaste and quickly brush my teeth while running a hand through my hair trying to tame it. After I finish with my teeth and hair, I reach for my glasses and slip them on and make my way into my bedroom.

I lazily put my covers back in place and scoop up my laundry from last night and put it into my laundry basket by my door. I then go to my closet and grab my old, black hoodie before heading back down the stairs.

I put on the hoodie as I'm walking into the kitchen and hear a whistle come from the side of the room.

"Lookin' good Ax." I pull my hoodie down over my stomach and run a hand through my now messed up hair as I look over to see Drew sitting at the kitchen table.

"How do I look good? I just woke up like ten minutes ago," I state, walking over to the cabinet that has the aprons in it.

"I'm talking about the muscles you've got underneath that old sweatshirt," he says and I gasp while putting a plain black apron on over my head.