Dad's Home

The next day, they were all back in their normal lives. This meant school for the teens, and college for Michael and Lucifer. After the fun, and admittedly strange, weekend getaway, getting up and heading to school felt like hell.

Of course, Lucifer made sure to remind them all that actual hell was a lot worse, and then they'd decided that he was just being Lucifer and ignored him. Everyone seems to have forgotten the whole pranking ordeal with the looming day at school, well everyone except for Gabriel and Sam, who were plotting way to get back. They had even stayed up past midnight texting over it.

This, it turns out, was a huge mistake. Sam woke to his alarm going off, and felt a strong surge of regret as he remembers why he was so tired. He really should've gone asleep earlier because now he was stuck surviving though the day on 4 hours sleep. Great.

Then again, they had come up with some pretty cool ideas. Sam walks over to his dresser, still half asleep as he grabs his clothes out and heads for the shower, thankful that Dean was already downstairs and hopeful that Dean had made coffee.

After his shower, Sam jogs downstairs and mumbles a tired hello to Dean, who was slumped over at the table. Both of them were quiet, drinking their coffees and dreading having to leave the house when an all too familiar rumble of their father's pick-up truck comes from outside. Sam jolts upright, all his tiredness fading away as he watches their father walk past the window. 

"Dad's home," he murmurs.

Dean frowns, shifting so that he could watch the front door. Sure enough, John walks in and slams the door shut behind him, something that made both the brother's stomachs churn in fear. Obviously, John's trip hadn't gone well. Which meant he was going to be in a bad mood.

"Sammy, grab your bag, we should leave for school," Dean mutters quietly, already halfway out of his chair as their dad walked in.

"Sam, Dean, whats with the rush? Don't you want to catch up?" John was sneering.

"Uh d-dad, we should be going to school," Dean moves in front of Sam.

"Nonsense, I'm sure you can spare a few minutes," John walks over to the liquor cabinet, pouring himself a whiskey and downing it in one go. He pour another and moves towards the boys, glass in one hand and bottle in the other.

"Now, how are you two? Still being good in school I hope."

Dean glances at Sam, who had gone very pale.

"You two are pathetic, you know that right? Answer me boys."

"We're do-doing fine, Dad," Dean grounds out.

"Not that he'd know," Sam hadn't meant to say that, but at least he'd whispered it so maybe John hadn't heard.

"What did you say Sam?"

Shit, he'd heard. Sam scrambled for the right words to try and save himself, but it was too late, John was livid.

"You pathetic kid, you can't even man up and speak your mind, toughen up son, this is the real world and going around mumbling shit ain't gonna get you no where," John was practically growling. "You can barely even speak to people like a normal person."

"Leave Sam alone," Dean defends his little brother.

"Get out of here, both of you, before I get real angry."

Sam and Dean grabbed their bags and were out the front door before anything else could be said. Sam was fighting back tears, he was sick of the constant verbal attacks from their father, but he wasn't strong enough to fight back, and so he let all those harsh words ht him, sinking in like pieces of shrapnel.