Broken promise

Dean stared at his phone with a pained expression, hesitating to answer it.
"What would he want?" Sam whispers.

Dean frowns, slowly lifting his phone and answering it as he raises it up to his ear.

"Hello Dad?"

Everyone could hear a muffled reply but couldn't make out the words as John kept speaking. Eventually, Dean puts the phone down with a drawn expression. Sam feels Gabriel tighten his grip on him as they wait for Dean to tell them what the hell John had said.

"Dad wan-wants us home now to finish packing," Dean murmurs sadly.

Sam sighs, a shuddering and sad sigh as he presses his lips against Gabe's soft hair and manages a strained smile for the smaller boy. "I'll see you tomorrow at school, okay? We'll say goodbye then."

"You promise that you'll definitely show?" Gabriel asks in a surprisingly small voice.

Sam nods, blinking furiously to stop the tears. "I promise, Gabey."

Gabe presses his lips softly against Sam's lips, then the taller moose boy stands slowly and nods to the rest of the group.

"Thank you all for this awesome night, even if we didn't get around to watching Sherlock."

Everyone murmurs goodbye and the Winchester's leave their friends behind with a heavy heart. The ride home was as quiet as the drive to school that morning, Dean tried engaging Sam in a conversation, but the younger boy stayed silent.

~~~~~

Sam ignores their father, running up to his boxed up room with tears falling from his eyes. He was already finding the move hard and they hadn't even left yet.

Dean gives his father a curt nod, not even stopping to enjoy the fact that John was in one of his rare good moods.

He jogs up the wooden stairs, stopping at Sam's door and opening it silently. He looks inside to find Sam curled up on his bed, staring silently at the opposite wall.

"Sammy?"

No reply came from Sam.

"C'mon Sammy, you should get some sleep or finish up packing, then you'll have more time with Gabe tomorrow."

Still no reply.

"Sammy? Please say something."

Sam briefly lifts his head, eyes sad as they meet Dean's, then he goes back to staring at the wall.

Dean sighs, but leaves his brother be as he goes to finish packing the last of his stuff. He reaches his room, chucking random stuff in the final box before his hands come to a rest on a framed photo in his bedside drawer.

It was a photo of him, Cas, Gabe and Sam, Lucifer, Mikey and Charlie had jumped into the background as Jo had taken the photo.

He stares at the photo for several long moments, eyes tearing up before he clears his throat, no time for that.

Sam on the other hand, he was currently curled up on his bed, drifting in and out of sleep as he worried about the next day. He didn't worry about packing, everything in his room was done.

~~Time skip... Don't kill me :3 ~~~

Sam was dragged out of his happy, fluffy dream by the sound of whispered shouts. Rubbing his sore eyes, he checks the time on his phone. 3:23 am. Sam creeps out of his room, his sleepiness was quickly replaced by alert wakefulness as he realized Dean and John were arguing in the hallway.

"You said we'd leave after one more day at school," Dean was hissing.

"It's easier on everyone this way," John said angrily.