Hurt

Sam woke up to the loud, harsh sound of people shouting. Bolting upright in his bed, he throws the covers off him and silently pads out of his room. He slips quietly down the stairs to see Dean and John all but ripping each others throats out.

Biting his lip, Sam fought back tears as he realised that Dean was, once again, defending him. Sam felt frozen, he wanted to go down and help Dean, but he couldn't move from his spot on the stairway.

It was then that John looked up, eyes livid as he called Sam over, and as Sam shakily approached, he wished their father could be happier. Like how he'd been when they had returned from the hike. Now he was drunk, angry and shouting.

"You boys need to learn to grow a thicker skin, look at how pathetic you are," John growls, pointing at them both unsteadily.

Sam flinched as a drop of whiskey flies out of the half empty bottle in John's hand and splashes on his cheek. But he doesn't make any move to wipe it away as he falls silent.

"If your mother was here...." John trails off as he takes another swig, and Dean clenches his fist.

"If mum was here, you might of actually been a good father all these years, rather than shouting at us and pointing out all our flaws."

John glares at Dean, who stands straighter and glares back.
Then John laughs, "oh, but she's not here, and whose fault is that?"

Sam felt tears well in his eyes, and as much as he tried to suppress them, a few still creep out and roll down his cheeks.

Dean was pissed, "its your fault for driving drunk, stop blaming Sam."

"We wouldn't have been driving it Sam hadn't gotten homesick!" John explodes.

"And that means its Sam's fault? You know it's not, dad, but you still prefer to blame him rather than the fact that you drove drunk that night instead of letting mum drive!"

Sam felt sick, he had always known it was his fault that their mum had died. If he hadn't gotten them to pick him up when he had gotten homesick at a sleepover, his mum would still be here.

"You two are just expensive pains that are a constant reminder of her, and you can't even be proper men and take what life throws at you!"

Sam flinches as John downs the rest of the bottle and throws it at the wall. John, while being verbally abusive, had never been physically abusive.

So when the bottle shattered on impact and a slice of glass cut Sam's cheek, John froze for a moment, wobbling on his feet.

Then, he grabs another bottle and opens it.
"You two are lazy, money sucking pains in the neck," he growls.

Sam was shaking as he tenderly touches his cheek. Dean moves beside, checking the wound with anger and worry in his eyes.
"I'm gonna get us out of here Sammy, one day soon, I promise."

Sam nods quietly. He felt his phone buzz and while John searched for a glass, he checked it.

Gaybriel🍭: heya Samoose, I'm almost at your place

Sam felt cold, he had forgotten Gabe had been coming over to walk to school together.

Samoose: I'm not feeling well, just go to school without me

Sam heard his father start muttering and yelling again, and Sam flinches.

"And now, now I learn that my son is a fag," John spits at Sam. "I see you walking out of the school holding hands with another boy, you're sick boy."