Chapter 11: The Return of Orcs, Wargs, & Old Enemies

"Curse that Halfling! Now he's lost! I thought he was with Dori!" Gloin blurted out.

"Don't blame me!" Dori argued.

"And where did you last see him?" Gandalf asked.

"I think I saw him slip away when they first collared us." Nori replied.

"What happened exactly? Tell me!" Gandalf ordered.

"I'll tell you what happened. Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it!" Thorin explained with such anger. "He's thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since he first stepped out of his door. We will not be seeing our hobbit again, he is long gone."

My face fell at his words. No, not Bilbo. I didn't think he out of all people would leave us when he has ventured all this way out from his home.

"No, he isn't." Bilbo's voice reached us all.

I turned to see Bilbo safe and sound without any blood or wounds. I wore a smile upon seeing him safe and with us. But how did manage to escape from the grasp of the goblins?

"Bilbo Baggins. I've never been so glad to see anyone in my life." Gandalf said with a warm smile.

"So happy to see you again, Bilbo." I added with a smile.

"Bilbo, we'd given you up!" Kili exclaimed.

"How on earth did you get past the goblins?" Fili asked.

"How indeed?" Thorin asked.

Bilbo nervously laughed as he slipped something into the pocket of his coat. Gandalf then spoke up before he could say anything. "Oh, what does it matter? He's back."

"It matters. I want to know." Thorin insisted. "Why did you come back?"

"Look, I know you doubt me. I know...I know you always have. And you're right, I often think of Bag End. I miss my books, and my arm chair, and my garden." Bilbo began. "See, that's where I belong. That's home. And that's why I came back, cause...you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you, but I will help you take it back if I can."

I glanced over to see all the dwarves rather touched with his words. Even Thorin wore a guilty look. I clasped a hand on Bilbo's shoulder.

"Well said, my friend. Well said." I commented.

Bilbo wore a shy smile. "It was nothing."

At that moment, we heard howling. We turned to see the orcs on wargs not too far from us on the mountainside. The tall pale orc said something in a foreign tongue. At his words several f the wargs made their way down the mountain and towards us.

"Out of the frying pan." Thorin commented.

"And into the fire. Run. Run!" Gandalf yelled.

We quickly ran away from the wargs as chased us down. We stopped when we reached a cliff. Uh oh...

"Up into the trees. All of you! Come on, climb!" Gandalf urged.

The howls were getting closer, leaving us little to no time left. We then followed Gandalf's orders, quickly climbed onto the trees.