Chapter 24: Convincing The People

"As soon as we have the weapons, we'll make straight for the mountain." Thorin whispered. He then turned towards Nori. "Go, go."

We had escaped from Bard's home as soon as night fell. Bain refused to let us leave, however we still managed to leave.

After Nori jumped over and stepped on the dwarves' backs, climbing up into the window of the armory building, it was Bilbo's turn. I along with Thorin, Tavros, Peeipcheek, Trumpkin, Trufflehunter, and a few other dwarves began to collect all their the weapons they had.

"You alright?" Thorin asked Kili.

I then glanced over to see Kili with a pale face. He shook it off. "I can manage. Let's just get out of here."

Really...because that doesn't seem like it to me. Kili then tried to wake down the stairs to prove his point, but ending up tripping and falling down the stairs, dropping the weapons, caused such a loud ruckus. Before we could flee, the guards of Laketown had reached us with their weapons pointed at our throats.

The guards then took us towards the middle of the town where people began to flock around as snow fell around us. The doors of a giant house opened, revealing Alfrid and an older and ugly looking man, who I presumed to be the master of Laketown.

"What is the meaning of this?" The master then asked.

"We caught them stealing weapons, sire." One of the guards explained.

Yep, he was the master alright. Oh boy, we're screwed...utterly screwed now.

"Ah! Enemies of the state, huh?" The master asked.

"A desperate bunch of mercenaries, if ever there was, sire." Alfrid added with a sneer.

"How dare you!" I spat. "You know not who any of us are. So I would close that damn mouth of yours before I rip it off for you."

Alfird narrowed his eyes as Dwalin then spoke up. "Aye. You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal. This is Thorin. Son of Thrain, son of Thror!"

Thorin then stepped out from our small group, making his way towards where the master and people could see him. "We are the dwarves of Erebor. We have come to reclaim our homeland."

There were murmurs amongst the crowd as he continued. "I remember this town in the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at harbor, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake. This was the center of all trade in the north!"

Thorin then turned to the people of Laketown with a confident look. "I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!"

The crowd cheered at his words. I smiled as I crossed my arms. Not bad for a king. However at that moment we heard Bard's voice. "Death! That is what you'll bring upon us."

It wasn't long until Bard stormed over to Thorin with a furious expression. "Dragon fire and ruin you will bring. If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all."

"You can listen to this naysayer, but I promise you this. If we succeed all will share in the wealth of the mountain." Thorin rebuked, ignoring Bard. "You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth ten times over!"

The crowd then cheered again, however Bard turned back towards the crowd, still trying to sway the people to his side. "All of you! Listen to me, you must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale? Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm? And for what purpose?"

Bard then whipped around to face Thorin. "The blind ambition of a Mountain King, so riven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!"

Dwalin looked like he was about to shred Bard to pieces, and Balin had to hold him back. I held my breath as Thorin glared at Bard. Without thinking twice I extended my hand out, grabbing the first thing I found...which happened to be Fili's hand. I felt my face heat up, but instead of pulling away, Fili surprisingly held my hand, giving it a squeeze.

Before things got out of hand, the master spoke up. "Now. Now. We must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame. Let us not forget, that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor, who failed to kill the beast."

My eyes widened. What?! Wow, what a turn of events. I then watched Bard's face fall at the master's words.

"It's true, sire. We all know the story. Arrow after arrow, he shot. Each one missing its mark." Alfrid mocked.

Bard then took another step towards Thorin. His voice fell servers notches. "You have no right, no right to enter that mountain."

"I have the only right." Thorin replied before turning to face the master. "I speak to the Master of the men of the lake. Will you see the prophecy fulfilled? Will you share in the great wealth of our people? What say you?"

The master was rather hesitant before speaking, raising his hands. "I say unto you...welcome! Welcome, King Under the Mountain!"

The entire crowd cheered at his words. I let out a relived as I smiled. I turned to Fili, who couldn't help but smile as soon as I looked at him. He did it...Thorin did it. My hopes had returned. We may it after all.