Chapter 37: Aslan's Country

At first all I saw was bright light then once it dimmed, I saw tall mountains, taller than any mountains I've ever seen, beautiful forests filled by birds who were more cheery and musical than any birds I've ever seen, and there were pristine streams running through it. I looked around in awe. Where am I?

"You're in my Country, Aurelia." A familiar voice said from behind me.

I turned around and my face lit up. "Aslan!"

I immediately ran over and hugged him, causing him to chuckle. "It's good to see you, my child."

"It's good to see you as well, Aslan." I replied. "Your country is far more beautiful than anything I've ever seen. No place comes close to its magnificence."

"That's because this is my Country and only those who are good and believe in Narnia, and in me shall enter." Aslan explained.

My face fell, remembering that one only entered the Country if they had died, with the exception of Reepicheek. Aslan furrowed his brows. "What's wrong, Aurelia?"

"It's just...listen I'm honored to have the pleasure of entering your Country, but I don't believe I'm ready to stay." I explained.

"You wish to stay in Middle Earth with Fili." Aslan replied, causing my jaw to drop.

He wore a smile as he added. "I have my ways of knowing."

"Your majesty?! Is that you?!"

I whipped around at the familiar voice to see Reepicheek running towards us with a huge smile on his face. "Reepicheek!"

I bent down and gave him a hug. Once we pulled away from the hug, he bowed. "It's an honor to see you again, your majesty."

"Reepicheek, what did I tell you? I told you to call me Aurelia." I reminded him.

Reepicheek wore a sheepish smile. "Forgive me old habits die hard."

"As an old friend will you call me Aurelia?" I pleaded.

"Alright, if you insist." He replied.

A huge smile grew on my face. "Great!"

Aslan then cleared his throat. "I hate to interrupt but do you still wish to return to Middle Earth?"

I nodded. "I don't want to leave Fili and my friends...sorry."

"No need to apologize, Aurelia. It's time you start your own life away from Jadis and all the danger." Aslan commented. 

"Will I see you again?" I asked.

"You will see me again in this Country." Aslan replied.

He then turned one of the forests and let out a mighty roar, causing the forest to split creating a portal. Aslan then turned back to face me. "This portal shall take you back to Middle Earth."

After saying goodbye to the both of them, I made my way into the portal. I was engulfed by a bright light...then I opened my eyes. I looked around to see I was in a bedroom, which was rather elegant but dusty. The door then opened, revealing the company and my entire group from Narnia that travelled with me to the cave.

"Aurelia!" They exclaimed as they rushed to my bedside. 

Fili was the last one to enter. He kept his eyes casted towards the ground with his shoulders slumped and dark circles under his blue eyes.

"Fili." I called out.

He looked up and when his eyes landed on mine, his eyes lit up. "Aurelia! You're awake."

"Yeah, how long was I asleep?" I asked.

"For a few weeks." Bilbo informed me.

My eyes widened. "A few weeks?"

"Yes, we were afraid that you would never wake up." Tavros replied.

"We had all sorts of healers try to help you. You name it elves, dwarves, humans, and we even gave you the last drop of the cordial that you gave us, which we are grateful for." Thorin explained as he wore a look of regret. "And forgive me for the way I treated you and your friends. None of you deserved what I had done."

"You're forgiven Thorin, besides I knew it wasn't you. It was that wicked sickness."

Thorin sighed in relief. "That is good to hear. Oh! Yes, I forgot. Fili?"

He turned to Fili, giving him the bead he tore out from my hair. "This time I won't rip it out."

Fili's smile widened as he took the bead. It wasn't long until Fili braided my hair and clipped the bead in the braid. I flashed back a smile as Fili took my hand in his. 

"Welcome to the family Aurelia." Thorin said with a smile.

"Yay! Aurelia's part of the family now!" Kili exclaimed. "The three of us are going to pull several pranks on Uncle now."

Thorin cleared his throat, causing Kili to wear a sheepish look. "Just wait until your mother returns." 

I let out a small laugh as I watched them go back and forth. It's good to be back.