Chapter 22: Getting Into Lake-town

"There's um...just a wee problem. We're ten coins short." Balin said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

What? How're we going to pay him? I then watched as Thorin glanced over at Gloin. "Gloin, come on. Give us what you have."

"Don't look to me. I have been bled dry by this venture!" Gloin began to rant. "What have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and..."

I stopped listening to Gloin when I saw the mist clear up, revealing a closer look of the Lonely Mountain. It's beautiful.

"Bless my beard." Gloin gasped as he quickly took out a sack of coins. "Take it. Take all of it."

Right after Gloin handed the coins to Balin, Bilbo clears his throat. We then all turned see Bard on his way towards us with a panicked expression on his face. "The money, quick. Give it to me."

"We will pay you when we get our provisions, but not before." Thorin informed him.

"If you value your freedom, you'll do as I say. There are guards ahead." Bard retorted.

Balin looked over at Thorin who reluctantly nodded, motioning to give him the money. Once the money was given to Bard, he explained that the dwarves, hobbit, rat, and badger-as he did not know their names-would go into the barrels, while Tavros and I would remain out with Bard. Tavros wrapped himself up with a blanket and coat.

Once we reached a port, Bard walked over to an older man. I then saw him pointing to the nets containing fish. Ah, I immediately knew what he was doing.

"What's he doing?" Dwalin asked.

"He's talking to someone. He's pointing right at us. Now they're shaking hands." Bilbo said.

"What?" Thorin exclaimed.

"He's selling us out." Dwalin added.

"He's not. Bard is helping us." I defended.

And at my words, Bard returned with several men who quickly dumped fish in all the barrels. Nice plan, Bard. I'm so grateful to have not been stuffed in one of those barrels now.  As we continued on, I heard muffled groans, and Bard then kicked the barrels. "Quiet! We're approaching the toll gate."

We soon approached the town gate. I held my breath as we slowly approached the gate.

"Halt! Goods inspection. Papers please!" A much older man stepped out. "Oh, it's you, Bard."

"Morning, Percy." Bard greeted.

The man named Percy then looked at me. He smiled at us and greeted us, which I greeted back with a small smile and nod.

"Anything to declare?" Percy then asked.

"Nothing. But I am cold and tired, and ready for home." Bard replied.

"You and me both." Percy said as Bard handed him a paper.

He didn't even ask us where we came from or why we wished to see Laketown. That's strange...it seems easy...too easy. Percy stamped the paper before he extended it out towards Bard. "There we are, all in order."

"Not so fast." A rather ugly man with black clothing and rotten yellow teeth approached beside Percy with a few others behind him. Ugh...great. The man had snatched the paper that Percy had and commenced to read it. "Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland realm. Only they're not empty. Are they, Bard? If I recall correctly, you're licensed as a bargeman. Not..."

He then grabbed a fish from a barrel, revealing Bombur's eye, which made me tense up . The man turned back to Bard. "...a fisherman. And who are these two?"

"It's my niece. She's come to live with us as her mother passed away." Bard lied. "And as for him...he's..."

"My friend, he's sick. It's why he's covered up with a blanket." I chimed in. "He refuses to let anyone see him in

The man narrowed his eyes as he approached me. "You never mentioned you had a niece, let alone any siblings before."

Bard then stepped before me. "It is none of your business, just like the fish it's none of your business."

"Wrong. It's the Master's business, which makes it my business." The man then snapped.

"Oh, come on, Alfrid. Have a heart, people need to eat." Bard tried to reason with him.

"These fish are illegal." The man named Alfrid said as he threw the fish that he held in the water. "Empty the barrels over the side."

My heart dropped down to my stomach at his words. We're so dead...we're going to never make it at this rate.

"You heard him, in the canal." One of the guards said. "Come on. Get a move on."

The guards then grabbed the barrels and began to dump the fish overboard. I glanced over at Bard with a worried look. I motioned him to do something and he quickly acted. "People in this town are struggling. Times are hard. Food is scarce."

"That's not my problem." Alfrid merely said.

"And when the people hear the master is dumping fish back in the lake? When the rioting starts?" Bard insisted. "Will it be your problem then?"

Alfrid reluctantly raised his arm. "Stop."

The guards then lowered the barrels and placed them back before walking off the barge. Alfrid turned back around to face Bard. "Ever the people's champion, eh, Bard? Protector of the common folk. You might have their favor now, bargeman, but it won't last."

Alfrid then furiously stormed off the barge and stood alongside Percy. "Raise the gate!"

At that moment the gate was lifted and Bard prepared to go through when Alfrid spoke again. "The Master has his eye on you. You'll do well to remember, we know where you live."

"It's a small town, Alfrid. Everyone knows where everyone lives." Bard replied before we entered the town.

I sighed in relief. "We did it. Oh for a second there I thought we were going to be caught."

Bard wore a gentle smile. "Yes, but we need to get you all to my house without raising too much of attention."

"Well, we've made it this far." Tavros commented. "Surely we can do the same to your home."

Once we reached our stop, Bard tipped over the barrels, enabling the dwarves and the others to get out. Before he could tip over Dwalin's barrel, Dwalin managed to free himself with a grumpy tone. "Get your hands off me."

All of them were covered with fish and reeked of the scent. Poor Peepicheek, Trumpkin, and Trufflehunter stepped out of the barrels with traumatized looks. As Bard dealt with a townsperson, I approached Fili and the others. "Are you alright?"

Fili nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. The man didn't touch you...did he?"

I furrowed my brows. "No. Bard protected me so Alfrid wouldn't come any closer."

Upon hearing Bard's name, Fili muttered. "Of course he would."

Before I could say anything, Trufflehunter, Peepicheek, and Trumpkin approached me. I wore sympathetic looks upon seeing them. "Oh you guys, are you alright?"

They all nodded, causing me to be relieved. Bard then turned towards us. "Follow me."

Bard led us through the town and it wasn't long until a boy around the age of thirteen or fourteen approached Bard. No doubt that this is his son.

"Da, our house, It's being watched." The boy said.

I groaned. Great. Just great! Just when things were looking great for us. I looked over at Bard with a worried look. What are we going to do now?