Chapter 16: Where Did They Go?

It felt like days had passed as we moved through the forest. This forest finally began to affect us. Peepicheek climbed onto my shoulder as he began to feel dizzy. The air became rather sickening.

"Air...I need air." Bofur said.

"My head, it's spinning! What's happening?" Oin asked.

"Keep moving." Thorin merely ordered.

We trudged on until everyone stopped. Thorin grew impatient as he made his way to the front. "Nori, why have you stopped?"

"The path, it's disappeared!" Nori explained.

  Oh no...this is bad. Very bad. This is exactly what Gandalf told us not to do. 

"What's going on?" Oin inquired as he raised his trumpet to hear.

"We've lost the path!" Bofur exclaimed.

"Find it. All of you, look." Thorin ordered.

As we looked for the path, we all began to feel rather dizzy. Soon enough we got lost in this dark and huge forest.

"I don't remember this place, none of it's familiar." Balin commented.

"It's got to be here." Dori said with a hesitant tone.

"What hour is it?" Thorin asked.

Dwalin shrugged. "I don't know, I don't even know what day it is."

"Is there no end to this accursed forest!" Thorin yelled out of frustration.

I glanced around and I saw Bilbo touching a massive spider web. My eyes widened. As he touched the web again, I placed a hand on his shoulder. "I don't think that's wise."

Bilbo seemed out of it as he merely nodded after a while. Thorin then ordered us to continue walking. So we reluctantly complied, trudging along in circles. The company suddenly stopped when Ori picked up a pouch from the ground.  Dori then took it from him as he looked at it in astonishment. "Look, a tobacco pouch. There's Dwarves in these woods."

Bifur then took the pouch from Dori as he and Bofur inspected it. "Dwarves from the Blue Mountains, no less. This is exactly the same as mine."

I rolled my eyes. That is his alright, which means we are going in circles. I sighed. "Bofur, it is yours."

"She's right. Do you understand? We're going around in circles, we are lost!" Bilbo chimed in.

"We are not lost. We keep heading east." Thorin protested.

"But which way is the east?" Dwalin commented. "We've lost the sun!"

As the company began to argue with each other, Bilbo, Peepicheek, and I began to look around. Trumpkin shook his head. "There's no way we are getting out of here if they continue to bicker like this."

"Looks like it's up to us." I said. "The only way to find the sun is if we climb."

"Of course!" Bilbo exclaimed before turning to the others. "We need to..."

He trailed off as the dwarves now began to push each other as their arguing grew louder and louder.

"It's useless, Bilbo. We will have to climb up ourselves." I informed him before turning to Tavros, Trufflehunter, and Trumpkin. "You guys stay here with the others. Bilbo, Peepicheek, and I will climb up to find the sun."

Bilbo and I then climbed up the nearest tree with Peepicheek on my shoulder. As soon as we reached the top, we immediately felt the fresh air. I sighed out of relief. "Ah, finally! Fresh air."

I smiled upon seeing butterflies around us. I then looked around to see the sun shining over a lake and past the lake there was a river, and ultimately the Lonely Mountain. 

"There's a lake!" I yelled out so the others could hear me.

"I can...see a lake! And a...river. And the Lonely Mountain!" Bilbo added.

He let out a chuckle. "We're almost there!"

"That we are, Bilbo." I replied with a smile.

"Uh...Your majesty?" Peepicheek said.

"Yes?"

"Something isn't right. They aren't answering." Peepicheek informed us.

Bilbo furrowed his brows before he tried again, trying to see if anyone would say anything. It was at that moment we saw something moving towards us in the trees. Uh-oh. I had a bad feeling about this. 

"Quickly, let's get off the tree before we run into trouble." I suggested.

Rather hastily I jumped off the tree and I looked around to see the company along with Tavros, Trufflehunter, and Trumpkin were nowhere to be seen. Where did they go? I then heard Bilbo yelling, I glanced up to see a giant spider wrapping Bilbo up in a web. I gulped as I hid behind the tree. Now I may have an idea of where they went...

"Peepicheek..." I whispered.

"Yes?"

"I believe I know where the others may have gone." I explained.

Peepicheek nodded. "I think I know what you mean."

"It looks like it's up to us to help them." I replied. "You ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be." Peepicheek said with a confident tone.

We then slowly climbed up the tree and followed the spiders back to the lair where the company was all wrapped up in spider webs. It was there where I found Bilbo hiding behind a tree. Looks like he managed to free himself. We slowly and carefully made our way towards Bilbo.

"Bilbo, we thought you were captured by the spiders." I commented.

"I was, but I managed to escape and kill the one that tried to take me back here with the others." Bilbo explained.

"Well done." I praised as I patted his shoulder.

Bilbo wore a smile as his cheeks turned pink. He waved it off with his hand. "Oh no, it was nothing. Really..."

"Good work indeed." Peepicheek added, before changing the subject to the matter at hand. "So, what is the plan?"

I glanced over at where the company was to see way too many spiders. We can't take on that many spiders. We need a distraction. 

"We need a distraction to get to the company." I suggested.

"Leave it to me." Bilbo offered. "You two go free the others."

I nodded. "Very well, if you know what you are doing then I'll leave you to it. Good luck."

Peepicheek and I then slowly crept closer towards the company. And as soon as the spiders heard a noise, they had scurried off to see what it was. From the corner of my eye, one spider I saw a spider fighting with someone that it couldn't find. My eyes widened when I saw Bilbo reappear out of nowhere with a golden ring in his hand along with his sword. So that's what he truly found in the Misty Mountains. Peepicheek called out my name. "Your majesty! Quickly help me."

I hesitantly turned away and helped Peepicheek. Soon enough Bilbo cut the rest, while Peepicheek and I checked on those who had landed on the ground. Finally, they were all on the ground and we helped them out of the webs. I wore a worried look as I helped Fili.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

Fili waved it off as he flashed me his warm smile. "I'm alright. Nothing to worry about, Aurelia. Thank you for helping us."

I felt a blush creep up onto my cheeks. "It was no problem."

"Where's Bilbo?" Thorn asked as he looked around.

"I'm up here!" Bilbo shouted. 

We then turned around to find more spiders coming for us. I clutched my sword as Fili stood by my side along with Tavros, Trufflehunter, and Trumpkin. I wore a furious face as I waited for the spiders to come closer. I'll show them what happens when they mess with my friends and with me.