Chapter 20: Barrels

While Bilbo snuck to the dungeons to free our friends, I returned to my chambers, quickly changing into my regular clothing before searching for Tavros, Trumpkin, Peepicheek, and Trufflehunter.

It wasn't long until I found them. Once I explained what was happening, they were quick to leave and follow me into the dungeons where we heard the voices of the dwarves. Once we arrived, Fili wore a look of relief before hugging me. "Mahal! You're alright! I was afraid you got caught."

I smiled. "Of course I'm alright."

Once I pulled away from the hug, Fili and I looked at one another before a blush appeared on my face. I averted my gaze from him as I turned towards the others.

"Down here, follow me." Bilbo called out from beneath us.

Bilbo then lead us into the wine cellar. There we saw a couple of Thranduil's elves passed out on the table, snoring. Nice, you had in job.

"This way." Bilbo urged with a whisper as we crept on. "Come on."

Kili wore a look of excitement. "I don't believe it, we're in the cellars."

"You're supposed to be leading us out not further in." Bofur argued.

"I know what I'm doing!" Bilbo raised his voice.

"Alright, no need to get all fired up. We don't want the elves to know we're here." I reminded him.

Bilbo released a sigh, nodding. "You're right..."

We then reached several empty barrels. "Everyone, climb into the barrels, quickly."

"Are you mad? They'll find us!" Dwalin protested.

"No, no. They won't. I promise you. Please, please, you must trust me." Bilbo assured us.

The dwarves then began to mumble amongst each other, I glanced over at Bilbo who wore a look of frustration as he looked at Thorin for help. Thorin wore a stern look as he ordered. "Do as he says!"

With that we all climbed into the barrels. Peepicheek shared a barrel with me, while Trumpkin and Trufflehunter shared a barrel together, and Tavros had his own. Bofur then popped his head out the barrel. "What do we do now?"

"Hold your breath." Bilbo informed us.

My eyes widened. What did he mean by that?

"Hold my breath? What do you mean?" They all asked.

Their question was quickly answered as
Bilbo pulled a lever that opened up the floorboards that the barrels were sitting on, dropping us into a narrow river. We all fell into the water with a loud splash. I glanced around, searching for Bilbo.

"Where's Bilbo?" Ori asked.

"He's coming. He knows what he's doing." I assured them.

"Aye, I don't doubt that anymore." Thorin agreed.

And sure enough Bilbo fell down alongside us, holding on to an empty barrel. We all smiled, wearing relieved looks.

"Well done, Master Baggins." Thorin praised.

Bilbo then raised his hand, waving it off to say that it was nothing really. He truly is humble.

"You were clever, Bilbo." I commented. "Not anyone could do what you did."

"Oh it was nothing, really." Bilbo insisted as he waved it off.

"Go, come on let's go!" Thorin urged before paddling towards the light.

We followed Thorin until we saw a waterfall close to us. I wore a relieved look. We are actually going to leave Mirkwood. Erebor here we come!

"Hold on!" Thorin yelled out to us.

We reached the waterfall where the current was so strong that it pulled us down the stream with such a force. We were so close to the gate and I truly thought we were going to make it out until we heard a horn sound off. We looked over at the gate to see it closing right before we could pass through it.

"No!" Thorin yelled.

This can't happen...we were so close. Just as the elves were about to capture us, an arrow struck one of the guards. What the? All off the sudden, an orc popped out from behind him, and the elf fell into the river.

"Watch out!" Bofur warned.

More and more orcs then appeared. My eyes widened. They caught up to us. I heard one of them yell something in a foreign language.

"Get under the bridge!" Thorin ordered.

It was then when the orcs began to attack us. Bilbo hastily used his sword to stab the orc that appeared before him. Meanwhile, Dwalin elbowed an orc's head, causing him to fall into the water. They don't have any weapons...but I do. And they're going to need all the help they can get. I quickly jumped out my barrel and onto the grass.

"Aurelia!" Fili cried out. "Where are you going?"

"To help you guys. You have no weapons, but I do." I explained.

Fili shook his head. "No! It's too dangerous! You're all alone."

I then pulled out my twin swords as I prepared to attack the orcs. I glanced back at Fili to see a worried look on his face. "I'll be fine, Fili."

"Fili!" Thorin called out, causing Fili and me to both look at him. "Trust her. She'll be fine."

I gave Thorin a look of gratitude before setting off to kill the orcs. I spun my twin swords, slicing up several of them. I swiftly dodged their attacks, and it wasn't long until Tavros, Trufflehunter, Trumpkin, and Peepicheek joined me.

"We can't let you have all the fun, your majesty." Tavros said with a grin.

I smiled. "The more the merrier. Glad you all decided to join in."

More and more orcs were coming, but I gathered my power, wiping them down with the wave of my hands. For a moment I became distracted as I saw Kili on the ground next to the lever with a black arrow in his leg. I quickly understood what he was trying to do. He was trying to open the gate...

"Aurelia!" Fili then yelled. "Look out!"

I turned around to see an orc with an axe in his hand prepared to stab me. However just before it could attack me, an arrow pierced its skull, falling to his side. I glanced over in shock to see Tauriel and Legolas. They were fighting the orcs as well. Once they looked my way, I gave them an appreciative nod before continuing to fight.

Then, it wasn't long until the gate opened, sending all the dwarves down the stream. Kili

Not too long after they arrive, Kili had managed to open up the gate. Once he opened the gate, he managed to climb back into his barrel. Legolas, Tauriel, Peepicheek, Tavros, Trumpkin, Trufflehunter, and I followed the company as I fought of the orcs on the shore. Meanwhile, the company managed to kill a several orcs while in their barrels. As soon as we past Mirkwood's borders, Peepicheek, Trufflehunter, Trumpkin, Tavros, and I hopped back into our barrels, allowing the current to take us further away from Mirkwood and from the orcs who were still hot on our trail.