Chapter 32: You Don't Deserve Him

The next day, Thorin ordered us to make a wall at the entrance and as we reluctantly built the wall, Bard approached us, wishing to speak to Thorin. Just feet away from him were an army of elves and men from Dale.

"I'm listening." Thorin informed him.

"On behalf of the people of Lake-town, I ask that you honor your pledge. A share of the treasure, so that they might rebuild their lives." Bard insisted.

"I will not treat with any man, while an armed host lies before my door." Thorin retorted.

"That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms." Bard explained.

"Your threats do not sway me." Thorin replied.

"What of your conscience?" Bard questioned.

"Does it not tell you our cause is just? My people offered you help and in return you brought upon them only ruin and death." Thorin shot back.

"When did the men of Lake-town come to our aid but for the promise of rich reward. A bargain was struck!" Bard exclaimed.

"A bargain?" Thorin scoffed. "What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food. To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom. You call that a fair trade? Tell me, Bard the dragon-slayer, why should I honor such terms?"

"Because you gave us your word. Does that mean nothing?" Bard questioned.

I anxiously waited for Thorin's response as he then steps away from the small opening where he spoke to Bard and turned towards us before he spoke. "Begone! Ere our arrows fly!"

My shoulders slumped. Bard reluctantly left in anger and frustration. Once he left, Bilbo immediately approached Thorin. "What are you doing? You cannot go to war."

"This does not concern you." Thorin rebuked.

My eyes widened. What did he just say to Bilbo? I crossed my arms. "Excuse me, but just in case you haven't noticed, there is an army of elves out there."

"Not to mention several hundred angry fishermen. We...we are in fact outnumbered." Bilbo added.

"Not for much longer." Thorin replied.

Bilbo furrowed his brows. "What does that mean?"

"It means, Master Baggins and Aurelia, you should never underestimate dwarves. We have reclaimed Erebor. Now we defend it." Thorin said before walking off.

We all watched as he retreated to the throne chambers. What has become of him?
•••
The next day the dwarves were suiting up for the battle in their armor and grabbing their finest weapons. Thorin then called both Bilbo and me over.

"You're going to need this." Thorin said as he held up a silver vest. "Put it on."

As we put the vest under our coats, Thorin explained to us what this vest exactly was. "This vest is made of silver steel. Mithril it was called by my forebears. No blade can pierce it."

Surprisingly mine fit like a glove, while Bilbo looked rather baggy in the vest and he knew it very well. "I look absurd. I'm not a warrior, I'm a Hobbit."

"It is a gift, a token of our friendship. True friends are hard to come by." Thorin informed us before pulling us to the side as his expression became more serious. "I have been blind, but now I'm beginning to see. I am betrayed!"

Bilbo gulped. "Betrayed?"

"By whom?" I questioned.

"The Arkenstone...one of them has taken it. One of them is false." Thorin replied.

That's a huge accusation...surely none of them took it, right? Bilbo sighed. "Thorin, the quest is fulfilled, you've won the Mountain. Is that not enough?"

"Betrayed by my own kin." Thorin retorted.

"Thorin, you made a promise to the people of Lake-town. Do you remember that?" I inquired.

"Now is this treasure truly worth more than your honor? Our honor, Thorin. I was also there, I gave my word." Bilbo added.

"For that, I'm grateful. It was nobly done. But the treasure in this Mountain does not belong to the people of Lake-town. This gold...is ours, and ours alone." Thorin shot back as his voice began to sound more and more like Smaug. "With my life I will not part with a single coin. Not one piece of it."

Thorin's eyes then fell to my hair where the braid with the head lied. He narrowed his eyes upon taking a closer look. "Who gave that to you."

"Fili." I replied, trying not to sound intimidated by his glare.

Thorin raised an eyebrow. "Fili? Fili had no right."

"I had every right." Fili intervened. "I love her, Uncle."

"She is not a dwarrowdam...or even from this world." Thorin rebuked before turning back to me. "You don't deserve to be with him. You don't think I've noticed your tricks, Aurelia, if that's what you're even called?! You're actually an elf who lied all this time, which explains why the elves treated you with upmost respect."

"They treated me with respect because they were kind and not to mention rather wise to do so...not like you!" I shot back.

Out of anger, Thorin lunged towards me, snatching the bead from my hair and undoing the braid. "You will not be with my nephew! Now get out of this mountain! Now!"

"Uncle, please you're being unreasonable-" Fili began.

However Thorin cut him off. "Enough! Fili, keep quiet. I'm not changing what I've said."

Tears threatened to fall from my eyes, but I fought them back as I glanced over at Fili who looked torn. He wore a pained expression before looking away from me. I reluctantly turned around to leave the mountain. And trailing behind me was Tavros, Jemain, Trumpkin, Ironhoof, Firebolt, Trufflehunter, and Peepicheek. My shoulders slumped as I left the mountain behind. I looked up at the sky in despair. Can't I be happy for once?! Is that so much to ask for?