23 - Life is always a drama

"Granny......."

It was all I could muster. My chest felt like it was being constricted by a thousand barbed wires, and I couldn't even swallow my spit as something round blocked my throat.

"Yes, dear, I am his grandmother. Have we met before?"

Am I mistaken? No. How can I mistake my own grandmother for another woman? Same white hair, same eyes, same face, same voice... This woman was indeed my grandmother.

"Granny, how are you here? Don't you recognize me?"

I said with teary eyes; my heart clenched seeing her confused eyes. Was she pranking me?

"I am afraid you are wrong, Atarah."

Ryan's velvety voice didn't register in my ears. I got up, placed a half-awake Nyle on the seat, and held her wrist gently. That similar skin warmed my entire body. They have never considered me family, but they are the only ones who connect me to the human world, to my childhood, and to my memories. My entire life in the past revolved around them.

"Granny, it's me, Atty."

Tears were rolling down my face uncontrollably, and my grandmother looked nervously at Nyle and then at me.

"Sorry dear. I guess you have mistaken me for someone else."

She said, getting a little tense.

"What's taking you so long, Sara?"

Near the empty entryway to my side now stood the man whom I have called 'grandpa' for the past eighteen years.

"Grandpa?"

I swallowed another lump that was now forming in my throat. Ryan briskly walked towards me and held my hand tightly. He nodded at my grandma in greeting before leaning down to reach my ears.

"Calm down. I can explain to you everything once they leave."

I wanted to argue and scream at him but just stood still, staring at my 'once missing' grandparents. Ryan then slowly picked up a pouting Nyle from the chair and handed him to Granny, who took care of him delicately. She bowed her head at us and said, a thank you. Then she looked at me with worry-filled eyes. I remained silent until they left the waiting room to sign the papers and for verification purposes.

"Do you want some water?"

I nodded my head, still peering at her retrieving figure. Ryan handed me a disposable glass with the transparent liquid in it, which I slowly took from him and gulped down the contents in one go. I sat there, looking at him, defeated.

"Why are they avoiding me? Why is she pretending like she doesn't know me? I swear I am not mistaken, Ryan."

I completed the sentence with a sob. Don't cry, Atty. You shouldn't break down at a time like this. He took the seat next to mine and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Maybe that's because they actually don't know you."

He was whispering the words, and I shook my head.

"No way. How can they forget me so easily? Unless..."

I looked at him with horror-filled eyes.

"Unless you did something to them."

He bowed his head a little, avoiding eye contact with me, and that was all I needed for confirmation. I grabbed his shirt's collar and started to shake it vigorously.

"How could you? How could you do this to me when they were my only family left?"

I shouted, not caring that we were in a public place.