13. Lie

"I'll lie to know it would make things easier for you."

•••

(Song suggestion "Not Over You" by Gavin DeGraw)

Shawn

Charlie had showed up before we all headed out to the shopping mall. I was kind of disappointed because I hoped I'd use this time that Avelyn was here to just hangout with her. To make up for being such a jealous jerk to her. With what happened I lied to her, it wasn't because she didn't tell me she was dating Charlie.

I left that gc not because of her or the fans. In fact I loved being in there and reading them talk about their day or each other. It made me happy to see their friendship as internet friends and how music really does bring us all together.

I left because I didn't want to sit there and not be able to read their conversation if Charlie was going to be at the center of it. In all honesty I didn't want to see how happy she was with someone new. Because it was all my fault, I was the fool that thought I knew what I was doing. Though in the end the joke was on me.

So when Charlie ended showing up I gave them their space. Mostly because I didn't want to be a third wheel and didn't want to see them all lovingly. I wanted to be holding Avelyn, to be dancing with her. To be making her happy, smile, and laugh. But I couldn't because of my own mistakes, so I decided to stick with the guys while we were there.

Though things got interesting after we stopped by to allow others to use the bathroom. Avelyn and I were talking for a few minutes and it felt normal. Like how it was before Charlie showed up, don't get me wrong Charlie is one of my great friends. But I just felt too weird to be around them when they're together rather than when they're apart.

"What's up Shawn, did you have fun performing?" Charlie said as he walked over and draped his arm around Avelyn.

The way he stood and talked was like he was trying to get a point across. It was a simple nice question but the way he said it was as if he was trying to get my attention off of Avelyn.

I shook it off thinking it was all in my head, "Uh it was really good, the view of the crowd and support meant everything. It was definitely a shocker to see Avelyn there, but nonetheless it was amazing to see her and hangout."

"That's Avelyn, always so supportive and amazing." Charlie said.

I smiled, "Yup glad to have met her way back in July. Knew I seen something special about her the moment I met her."

"Yeah thanks a lot too because if it weren't for you I wouldn't be dating the best girl." Charlie threw back.

I felt this rush of jealousy, like Charlie was showing off he had won. Like it didn't matter if I met her first or what bond we had, that it didn't matter cause he won. He was the one who got what I couldn't have. Though he had a right to feel that way, he did have something I didn't.

He had the courage to ask her out and take the step that I couldn't. But it didn't matter if he got the girl, because Avelyn was still part of my life. She was still my best friend and that was better than anything else. I wasn't going to let him talk down as if the bond I had with Avelyn was nothing compared to what he had.

I was about to say something back but fell short of it when Avelyn moved away from Charlie and I. The expression she had was annoyance.