DON'T NO 19: Extremely Long Titles

This should have come way earlier in the story but seeing that I'm too lazy to correct it now because it would disturb the rest of the sequence... This will stay the Don't no 19, no matter what.

A title is what you use to name your story with. It should be short, interesting and able to hook a reader. But that doesn't mean you are going to summarize the whole story in the title.

Ever since stories like The Bad Boy Stole My Bra and The Bad Boy Hit Me In The Head With A Baseball Bat got famous, this thing of having long titles became a trend.

Of course there are many stories with long titles and there's nothing wrong with it but what I am telling you to do is to refrain from choosing really long titles.

You should never give the whole story away in the title because it isn't really appreciated when viewed from the literary perspective.

Consider some examples.

I'm Damon's Fiance But I Love Stefan.

Oh My God, I'm A Bennett But I Love The Original Hybrid!!!

The Salvatore / Mikaelsons Adopted Me.

And basically a lot such titles like that which are not only tacky but also give the reader an idea on what to expect.

The first impression these titles create is that of lack of maturity. Then comes the obvious thought that clearly the story is going to involve all the cliches as mentioned by the screaming plot line exposing Title. And definitely, most readers are going to just skip over because they have already seen a lot of stuff like that and are not interested.

It is a very immature style of writing that you just scream away the main point of the story right at the beginning. So please, don't do that.

The only books which are capable of carrying long titles are those of the genre Humor and obviously, Fanfiction is not categorized under that specific genre.

***

There are many other types of titles you can consider rather than these exclamatory sentences.

For example, first you think out the theme of the story and then you choose a word that matches the theme.

If the story is about two people (out of which one is obviously an OC) who used to be lovers sometime in the past but due to circumstances they drifted apart or broke up something and then after years they meet again and want to start all over again. Then you can name your story Rekindle or Awaken or Second Chances or something like that so it matches the theme.

Or the second way is that you look up lyrics of a song. And PLEASE do not insert the whole lyric, just a few keywords will be enough. Or rather just use the name of the song. I'm stating some examples below:

The Other Half Of Me

Chasing Cars

Prima Donna Girl

Part Of Me

Dancing In The Moonlight

Enchanted To Meet You

Bad Reputation

And obviously the list could go on forever.

Then you can also consider idioms or proverbs or similes like:

Sharp As Glass

Once Broken, Never Mended

Yup, a few of these titles are long but they do not shout out your plot. Of course these titles give the reader an idea what the theme would be but really, the theme is what hooks the reader so that's quite necessary.

***

Writing on the phone is so weird, I'm much accustomed to my laptop where my fingers can have more space to wander freely about. So if you find any typos, don't worry, I'll correct them later when I update on my laptop.

Hope this chapter helped. There are a lot of books on Wattpad which give you ideas on how to title your story and then there are also books that give the titles randomly on a list and you can choose whatever fits your story.

See you in the next chapter!