Chapter 29

Zhaira was driving around town at noon time when she spotted Zach at the store. She stopped in front of the premises, wondering what could he possibly do there knowing his schedule is at ten at night.

"Zach!"

She turned off the engine and called out Zach, who seems to not have intention of chatting.

"Hey! Zach saglit lang"

Zach looked back at her, but avoids her glances.

"Hey, what's with you? And in your uniform this early?"

Zach pans his eyes all around, but avoided Zhaira's.

"You changed shifts again?"

"Yah balik sa dati"

"I see. May I ask why?"

"It's the way it should be. I have to go inside"

Zhaira noticed how Zach avoids her presence. She moves quickly and pulled his arm to stop him.

'Zach, saglit lang naman. May nangyariba? Have I done something wrong? Again?"

Zach removed her hands off his arm gently and looked at her eyes in beseech.

"Nothing. You did nothing. May trabaho pa ako Zhai, nice seeing you today though"

"Zach, don't lie"

"It's never gonna change anything if I tell you isn't it?!!!"

Zach said out loud. Zhaira was stunned at the tone of his voice and she knows that there is something that's bothering him.

"Zach, what's wrong? The last we talked we were okay"

Zach bit his lips and breathed deeply.

"Liane told me they lost a contract with Raul's company"

"Because?"

"Because Jeremy? His boss"

"His boss is friends with Raul"

"Yes. And it seemed they had a conflict now"

Zhaira's face turned into doubtful glow. With the noise of cars passing them by seeming to be unoticed, she is focused on what Zach has to say.

"Raul pulled off the contract. Hindi niya na itutuloy"

"Then anongkinalaman'

"Lahat Zhai! Raul told Liane ayaw niyang na-babahiran siya o ang kumpanya ng kung ano-anong tsismis"

"What? I don't get it"

"Hawakni Liane ang account nayun. Perohindinatinanggapni Raul because allegely you singled him out. You accused him of having interest to Liane. He doesn't want to be branded like that, and Laine doesn't want to be known to take advantage like that"

"Zach, listen to me. Yes, I told Raul if he wants to play and have fun then so be it!  But leave Liane out"

"Why would you say that?! Nothing is going on between them Zhai I told you to let your hunches go"

"I know Raul. I know how he looks at the girls he has interest too, I know how he wants to take advantage of girls who shows interest in him too!"

"So what are you saying? Interesado si Liane sa kanya?"

"Zach, please I am being honest with you, why are you mad at me?"

"Because you've gone overboard Zhai. Maybe you are clouded by your bitterness about your break up with Raul. Or maybe because you do not like Liane for me. I don't know!"

"Zachary you take that back! I was just trying to protect you"

She's trying to keep the growing pain inside her chest. The pain that she feels like knocking on her throat is ready to explode. Her tears refuse to drop from her left eye.

"I don't need it! So stop it! The last time you did that you"

Zach paused. He looked up and shake the thought out of his head.

"What? The last thing I did try to protect you what?"

"Nothing. I have to go to work"

Zach turned his back on her and walks away.

"Zach! We can't go back now that we've worked everything out"

Zach looked back at her and whispered

"Have we?"

He left her standing on the side of the road teary eyed. She was left baffled at the sudden changed of mood between her and Zach.

"Just when I thought everything is running smoothly suddenly a huge stone block my way to you. Why Zach?"

~ Our brokenness plays a vital role in our present ordeals.