Chapter 37

It was the most endearing sunrise of our lives. But also one of the heartbreaking for it was the last time I spent with Zhaira. I can never understand her, I also think I have to, but If I could I would. All I can do is be there for her when she needs me.

When I brought her back to their house, Don Antonio called me out before I leave.

"Zach, usap tayo?"

I felt uneasy. Ninong has never been this serious when he's asking for my time.

"How's Zhaira Zach? Did she tell you anything?"

"Uhm. Sir, like you hindi ko rin po masyadong naiintindihan si Zhaira. All I know is it helps if we just let her breathe"

"Let her breathe and what? Look at her, she's in relation with that Peter boy"

"I know"

"I have a promised to your dad son. And I intend to deliver. I love you like my own and I don't want your life be destroyed just because you're swimming in the sames sea with Zhaira"

"I'm doing my best po. I know I may be young and unable for now for  your daughter"

"Zach. There's no one in the world, I would want to entrust my daughter than you. Maybe part of this is my fault. Pinaalagakosiyasayo, pinabantay at such a young age. Hindi ko napansin na it is slowing you down"

"Sir, I love what I do for your family, for Zhaira. And she believes in me kaya I am able to dream bigger"

"But Zach, it is time for you to focus on other things than Zhaira. Your mom, needs you now more than ever. Zhaira needs to learn how to stand up on her own. I admit I'm trying to fix everything for her, normal langnaman yon dahil magulang niya ako. But you, you carry the burden for her more than you should have. You have burdens of your own. You're too young for all of this"

Antonio tap Zachary's shoulders.

"If you want Zhaira to realize her life's precious promises, show her how to do it."

"Are you saying that I should stop seeing your daughter?"

"It's hard for me to say this, but Zach I think, the more you two are together, the more you are drifting apart. The time has come for you to grow individually, separately"

I left their mansion with tears all over my face. Hindi ko matanggap. The one person who believes in me, for protecting his daughter wants me to stay away from her. Maybe it hurts the most because I know it is true. I am lifting everything for Zhaira more than I should. And I can't do her battles for her all the time.

And though I know everything that Don Antonio had said was all true, it took a huge blow for me to finally let her go.

~

And I heard them talking. I heard dad talking to Zachary. I heard how he told Zach to stay away from me. How could he do that? Lahat nalang ba kailangan niyang harangin para ayusin lang ang isang bagay sa akin na hindi naman kayang ayusin? I need a friend. And he's taking one away from me.

So I ran. I followed Zach as much as I could. I want to let everything go, willing to surrender anything just to be with him. I don't care anymore, I want to tell him how I feel.

And because of my recklessness I have forgotten about Peter. His threat to me about Zach's destruction.