Chapter 41

Zhaira decided to sneak out like she always does when she wants to go to Zach. But to her surprise, Zachary is already standing outside their huge gate. Waiting for her.

She hurried her way towards him and hugged him so tight.

"Zach! I was so afraid they might take you away from me. Buti okay ka? How's your hand?"

She took his fist and place it on her cheek that is wet with her tears. Zach kissed her hand gently as he gathers all the strength he needs.

"And there's nothing for you to be afraid"

She looked at Zach's seemingly troubled face. Zhairais having a hard time admitting that this could be the end.

"Zach? What's wrong?"

"I have to leave town"

"Of course. My family is against Peter's family now and pag gumalingsi Peter bakabalikan ka niya, it is safe for you to leave for a while"

"For good Zhaira"

"What? Oh, okay, I'll call you and we can still talk right? Zach?"

"Zhai, knowing you, understanding you is a constant challenge, but a privilege at the same time and maniwala ka sa akin ginustoko lahat ng ginagawa ko para sayo. But your dad said, habang magkasama tayo, we are drifting apart even more."

"And you believe him?"

"You don't? Can't you see what's happening? We are willing to destroy ourselves for the sake of each other. We must understand that hindi langtayoangnasasaktan"

"I know that. I just refuse to believe it. But  Zach, I am trying my best to cope up with this world, I believe I don't belong to. But every time I try? Laging may nangyayaringganito. It seems like the world wants me at its core. Never getting up. And I need you to remind me to fight, kahit gaano ka kalayo"

"Zhaira, don't let the world's opinions of you be your reality, and most importantly your destination. You are unique, different, but that doesn't mean you're less important or incapable than any of us"

"You, saying that means the world to me'

"But I'm afraid that you have to journey your life without me"

"I don't think I can live a day without you Zach hear me out please naman"

"You can, and you must"

"Will I see you soon?'

"I don't know. And I don't want to have a single hope"

"Why? Maybe in time, okay na ako, okay kana. Pwede na tayo. Baka pwede pa"

"Zhai I always end up wanting to be with you. But every time that happens? It could only mean saying goodbye again."

"Are you saying you're letting go of everything?"

Zach kissed her lips while she shed tears.

"I will forget everything if this could mean a new life for you. This is the right thing to do Zhai, and I even for a day wouldn't want to take away those chances for you"

Zhaira is lost in her misery. She uttered the words she has carried for years.

"Zach, I lo..."

"Don't say it Zhai please don't. Or I might not be able to leave" "Bata pa tayo, time may change everything for us"

"What do you want me to do? I am so lost"

"Live and let me go"

He removed her hands so tightly gripped in his arms. Zhaira  watched him fade into the darkness of the streets. She just stood there crying in silence, feeling sorry for herself.