Chapter 31

Zhaira kissed Rosa goodbye after having dinner. She was hoping to talk to Zach, but her hopes had failed her. But when she was a few steps away from her car when Zach called her name.

"Zhai!"

The light post cleared his presence for Zhaira. Wearing a gray shirt and unkept hair suit him most for a woman's sight.

"Going home already?"

Zhaira nod her head in agreement. She is waiting for an entrance to his uneasy mind.

"Listen, about kanina, I didn't meant to gloat at you"

"No Zach I think I earned it, you don't need to apologized"

"I do. It's kind of immature for me to react that way. I'm sorry"

Zhaira bit her lips and tucked her hair behind her ears.

"I understand. Completely Zach"

Zach breathed deeply and shakes his thought out.

"Is there anything else you want to say?"

"It's just that, I think this has to stop muna"

"Stop what?"

"This. Kung ano man to. The reason why I shifted schedule is"

"To avoid me and to make things comfortable for Liane I know and I understand believe me I do"

"I cannot tell you what to do or where to go Zhai. I have no right, peromas okay na yung ganito"

"Is this your subtle way of ending our friendship?"

Zhaira's throat begins to tighten again. The past hurts that bleeds them both crawls and lurks again and this time, it is  much painful.

"Honestly? I don't know. Because no matter how much I try to ignore you or walk away from you the universe has its way of pulling me back at you"

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Zhaira, ever since I've met you there was never a day I have never  thought of endless possibility for us. Kaya tiniis ko lahat. Ginawa ko lahat there was never a time that I wouldn't want to be with you. Kahit subject akong prank mo I am gladly and a willing victim. I care a big deal for you Zhai! You're the very first one who makes me believe I can achieve more. Be more."

Zhaira's tears start to fall. Her heart is pounding hardly than it should be.

"Pero things happen. The more I do things to deserve you, you do things that pull us apart and I don't know why"

"Zach, please understand that everything I did was for you"

"You always say that!"

"Because that's the truth"

"But that is all the past. Nandito tayo ngayon, ayusin na natin to para hindi maulit pa"

"Peroikawnarinnagsabi, the universe has its way of pulling us back together'

"Then it should consider ending it"

"Why would you say this Zach? I'm going back to Baguio and you may be leaving soon, I don't want us to part like this"

"It's better this way. I don't want to have a single hope of us. For us anymore"

"Zach!"

"Zhaira! The force between us? That pulls us together is so strong. It has to stop. Because admit it or not, either it will break me or you or everyone that surrounds us." "I have a life now, a life that I have chosen to pursue and I don't intend to wreck it because"

"Because of me. Of course"

Zach stepped closer to her and hold her arms.

"I'm so sorry"

She just stood there, in front of a devastated Zachary. There has been just a pain inside of their hearts that none of them could not admit the truth about their feelings. She catches up her breath as she watches Zach walked away from her. Understanding everything that had been said.

He walked slowly as if his thoughts were flying. His tears fell on his cheeks without him noticing. He looked at his mother whose busy washing the dishes. He walked towards her and hugged his mother from behind. Rosa, held her son's head for comfort while Zach's tears fell on her shoulder.

"Nay, akala ko sanay na ako. Akala ko tanggap ko na. Pero masakit parin pala. Mas masakitngayon"

"Oh Zach anak"

She went home and sat again on her bed. Staring at the pocket watch Zach had given her. Her tears didn't stop since it went out of her eyes.

"If I could turn back time Zach, would it make any difference? Kasi, I would trade anything, anything for you like I always have" " All I know is I'm the one to blame for whatever it is that's hurting you now. Because I'm a mess"

She buried her face in the pillow and cried in silence.

~ We need to heal first, before fixing everything else.