Questions finally answered

Rainbows memories were getting weirder by the second and I was tempted to let go and stop them, but the third one caught my attention. Cause it explained exactly why I touched her in the first place. Her headaches.

Rainbow and Bat Wing were hanging out together, I supposed was about a month after camp Everfree.

Rainbow was naming off multiple things while Bat Wing changed into them. “Turtle… Tree… Butterfly… Flamingo… Buffalo… Turkey… Dog… Sunflower… Me.”

When he turned into her, Rainbow burst out laughing. “What?” Bat Wing asked.

“Sorry.” She started to tear up. “But. I've never even imagined myself. Completely decked out in a frilly princess dress.”

Bat Wing looked down seeing that he was indeed wearing a frilly pink princess dress. He blushed, “Ya. I honestly hoped that something like this wouldn't happen.”

“I, can, see, why! How did you even naturally turn into that!?”

Bat Wing was blushing hard now mumbling an answer.

“Bat Wing, don't mumble. I can't understand you that way. Unless of course your pretending to be Fluttershy because she always mumbles.”

“Well, umm, sometimes, during my free time, I start to think about you and it starts to go to how pretty you'd look in certain outfits.”

“Why the hay would you imagine me in something like that?”

“Oh. This was one of the ones that I thought that you would never wear. But I wouldn't be surprised if that Rarity friend of yours would try to put you in one of these.”

“Honestly, I wouldn't put it past her.”

“Ya. But check this one out.”

He transformed showing a Rainbow Dash in a midnight blue dress with long sleeves and a floor length skirt covered in sparkles that glimmered like stars. Her hair was in a high ponytail and was curled. The blue eyeshadow was just barely darker than her skin and the eye liner truly made her seem like she jumped out of a Japanese anime.

Rainbow stared at Bat Wing eyes wide. “Wow.” was all she could say.

Bat Wing as Rainbow blushed somehow making this version even more beautiful. “Sure, you're, embarrassed.”

“No! Not at all!” Rainbow said quickly. “It's just so, umm, detailed. How much free time do you have?”

“Not much, but when you can transform into what your thinking, you have more time to work on the little things. Like how much sparkle is the right amount.”

“Ya. Guess so.”

Bat Wing changed back to himself and sat next to Rainbow. “Thanks for helping me out with my transformations. Mother always has me transform into the most hideous monsters. I never get to do normal things like ducks.”

“Well friends help each other out. Right.”

“That's what you keep telling me, but I realized that you're always helping me, but I never do anything to help you.”

“Hey it's fine. Besides, you do a lot for me.”

“I do?”

“Ya. You sneak out of the hive to hang out with me. You could be hunting but inside you come see me. It isn't much, but it means a lot.”

“Wow. I guess I do do all of those things. But still. I want to do more for you.”

“Bat Wing, seriously, it's fine.”

“No! You do much more for me than I  could ever do for you. And I want to make it up to you.”

“Bat’s…” she stopped and held her head painfully.

“You ok Rainbow?”

“Ya. It's just a headache.” So this is when it started.

Bat Wing looked more worried than ever. “It's not just a headache. I've been around you too long. I'm feeding off you.”

“You said you wouldn't do that anymore.”

“I'm sorry. This is why I don't come very often. I don't want to risk hurting you. But it looks like all of my efforts to not feed when I'm around you failed.”

“Hey it's fine…” she groaned clutching her forehead.

“Oh no. Rainbow listen!” He took her hands in his, “You must understand that I'm only doing this for your own protection. We can't see each other as often. I'll still come to see you but not nearly as often as before. I need you to stay strong and rest as much as you can in between my visits. I'll see you, but you can't talk to me unless I tell you who I am. Got that?”

“Bat. Why…”

Bat Wing gave Rainbow no chance to ask questions. He pulled her into an embrace and green sparks surrounded the two.

Bat Wing teleported Rainbow to her bedroom. She fell over from shock of teleporting for the first time. So Bat Wing picked her up softly humming a lullaby.

By the time he brought the sheets up to cover her on her bed, she was fast asleep. He cleared her bangs off of her forehead. I almost expected him to kiss her, but he only sighed.

“I wish I wasn't a changeling. Then I could stay with you and have a heart.” then he left.

Something told me that he actually does have a heart. And that's where the path through Rainbows memory lane ended.