Chapter 2 - "I guess I'll see you tonight."

The first time Knox had heard about the celebrity cruise idea, had been during a break while filming a music video. Calvin had just gotten off the phone with one of the top executives, for the Bali Cruise line, who was behind the idea and had come directly to tell him. What if you could cruise for a week with your favorite celebrity? Eat with them, interact with them, lounge by the pool with them. The idea was to limit the space available, making it more exclusive and more intimate. 

The cruise line would auction off the rooms with the proceeds going to charity. It was a win-win situation for the cruise line in terms of marketing. Not only did the celebrities make it more appealing but they were able to give back to charities. The celebrities would be compensated for their time and in return they had to agree to a certain amount of hours mingling with the passengers and offering events based on their specialities.

If, when a passenger was biding on a spot on the ship, they specified which celebrity they were interested in seeing, their bid would be donated to a charity of that celebrities choosing. Calvin had explained how the cruise line understood the intensity of the celebrities scheduling and was bringing the information to them months in advance.

Knox had returned to his music video shot, promising Calvin he would think the idea over. The possible dates the cruise line was proposing could be worked into his schedule. He loved the idea of being able to send money to a charity he supported, but he was nervous about the fans. Undoubtedly, when news of this broke there would be hundreds of thousands of girls begging their parents to get them a spot on the ship. So they could not only meet him, but hang out by the pool with him and more.

He was always the first to say how much he loved his fans and it wasn't in that fake way so many celebrities said it nowadays. He had watched celebrities spout their devotion and love for their fans and turn around and complain about them.

Yes, there were aspects about this life that he wasn't thrilled about. But he could deal with his lack of privacy and a normal life if it meant he got to do the thing he loved. And more than that, when he had met fans at meet and greets, and they weren't crying and hyperventilating, he had a fun time thanking them and seeing their faces light up.

In the end his answer had been yes, why not get a week off? He had to work some but he got paid and it gave back to charity. But before he agreed he had some conditions. He would be taking along Marcos, his best bodyguard. He would be with Knox whenever he was out and about on the ship. Knox wasn't naive enough to forget about the close encounters he had had with some of the more obsessed fans.

He was happy to do it, but he didn't want to take a stupid risk. The second condition was that he had a final say on all the activities he would be leading on the ship. He understood the cruise line had several ideas and he might agree with them but he wanted the final say. Other then that Knox told Calvin to work out the details but he was on board, figuratively and eventually physically.

The first time Sky had heard about the idea she had been working on a cruise herself. It was a few months before the public heard about it and about the same time Calvin was getting the call. Rumors started to swirl around the idea. Every worker prayed it was true and if so, that they got scheduled to work that trip. Not only would they get to be around the celebrities but a half empty ship meant less work. It also meant less workers so everyone was bidding for a spot on that cruise.

She had been just as excited as everyone else. A half empty ship meant more freedom for the workers and being around the celebrities wouldn't hurt. She tried to be the one voice of reason, trying to explain that they wouldn't actually be able to interact with any of the celebrities. It would be in a contract the cruise line would make everyone sign. They would be invisible, working in the background to make the ship run.