Chapter 31 - "Knox, we need to be realistic."

As their conversation had progressed, Sky had tried to brace herself for this part, but nothing had prepared her for the way she would feel once the words were out of her mouth. It had been easy to listen to Knox's stories and forget about what would happen once morning came. But now it was final. The words were out there and she couldn't take them back.

"What do you mean?" he asked. He pulled away. He searched her eyes, a slight frown creasing his forehead.

"I mean, it has been the best week..." she said.

"I agree," he said, jumping on her words. "It's been amazing. You make me laugh and all I want is to spend more time with you. It doesn't matter what we do, its just fun being around you."

"You make me laugh too," she admitted.

"So lets keep it going. I know it can feel overwhelming but..."

"Knox, we need to be realistic."

"Realistic?" he questioned. She could tell his mind was racing, trying to catch up to where hers  had landed hours before.

"Realistic is I really like you," he said. He took both of her hands. "This doesn't have to be goodbye."

She smiled. A part of her wanted to just agree with him. He was an international pop star who could make almost anything happen. But then she remembered the concert and her reasons came flooding back, clear as day.

"Knox, where will you be in a month?" she asked. She could see the question caught him off guard.

"I..." he started to say but stopped. She watched as he struggled to produce an answer and it only solidified her reasoning. "I don't know," he finally admitted. His face dropped.

"Don't be sad," she said with a genuine smile. "This was the best cruise I have ever worked. I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I had with you. In Mexico and playing Sardines. And this morning, and all the other times. They will be great memories."

"And we can make more."

"Knox, in the next two weeks I'll have cell service for a total of twenty-four hours, most of which I will be working," she said. "And you're going to be in a different city every other night. How is this suppose to work?"

Knox stood, running his hands through his hair. "But I can make sure I am free during that time."

"So we can talk for a few minutes? Before I have to get back to work or you have to get to an interview?"

He turned to face her, his expression showing he wasn't willing to give up yet. She stood and slowly moved towards him. "I had the best time with you. Lets just let it be that," she said.

He gave her a pained look and she had to turn away.

"If we try to drag this out, one or both of us are going to become a burden to the other person," she said.

"I could never see you that way," he protested.

"But it will happen," she said. She turned back to face him. "You'll feel bad that you are too busy to call. I'll feel bad for constantly missing your calls. We'll both feel guilty for cutting our phone conversations short when we have so much to say. Eventually, after two months of short conversations and missed calls, this will just be that thing we feel guilty for dropping because life was too busy." She could tell her words were getting through to him.

"This cruise allowed you to take a break from your busy schedule and I'm just happy I got to get a little of your time," she said.

He walked towards her and pulled her into his arms. She took a deep breath in, trying to hold on to the feeling of his arms around her and the way he smelled, memories she could store away.