Chapter 8 - "So this is my fault?"

Knox's headphones were already in when he pushed open the large glass door, leading to the long oval workout room. Straight across from him were floor to ceiling windows, placed right on the edge of the ship. The sea was all you could see when on the treadmills and other cardio machines. He was grateful for the empty room and climbed onto a treadmill, starting the pace out slow.

Calvin had been pleased to see Knox dressed in a nice pair of slacks, a white button and a gray pattern vest when he came to give him a heads up for dinner.

"Looking good boss," Marcos said, himself dressed in nice pants and a button down.

"You don't look to bad yourself skipper," Knox said.

There was a stream of people heading towards the restaurant and Knox, Marcos and Calvin fell in with the crowd. Knox noticed the vast difference in appearance from this afternoon as girls in evening gowns passed him with men in slacks and blazers.

"This is where we leave you," Calvin said, as they stepped up to the host's stand in the restaurant.

"Are you sure you don't want me to meet up with you after?" Marcos asked.

"No, I'll be fine. After this I'm going to get a workout in. I can't imagine the gym will be filled with girls at that time of night," Knox said. "Have a good dinner and then go and do something fun." He directed the last part at Calvin.

Knox followed the host as he led him through the restaurant. He could hear his name being spoken as he passed.

"Here you are, sir," the host said, pulling out the last chair at a full table.

Knox sat and looked around him. Across from him sat a couple in their fifties, well dressed and well groomed. To his right was a young girl, who Knox recognized from the pool earlier and then the Q&A that afternoon.

"Hey how are you?" he asked, as the girl leaned towards him.

"I'm great," she said. Her voice was low as she eyed him up and down.

"Hi, I'm Albert and this is my wife Renee and our daughter Bianca," the man said, motioning towards the girl next to Knox. "This is our son, Hudson, and some close friends of ours Peter and Shannon and their son, Thomas."

Knox followed the introductions around the table and could see the resemblance between Bianca and Hudson and their parents. Hudson was discussing some business venture with Thomas. They had briefly paused the conversation to say hello but had quickly returned.

"You look so handsome," Bianca said.

"Thanks, you all look great," Knox said. He didn't want the compliment to be specific to Bianca.

"How are you guys enjoying the cruise so far?" he asked. He relaxed into his seat.

Entertaining on such a small scale wasn't his favorite, but he was doing this every night of the cruise so he might as well get comfortable with it.

"It's fantastic, but that's mostly because you are here," Bianca said.

"It's been very relaxing," Shannon said.

"We always try to do a vacation together at least once a year. I think this is going to be one of the best," Renee said.

Knox jumped on that comment. He got everyone talking about how long they had known each other and the other vacations they had been on. The French Rivera, a few weeks in the south of Spain, a trip to their shared private island in the Bahamas.

"It's beautiful there. You would love it," Bianca said. She rests her arm against his chair as she leaned towards him.

For every question she asked Knox, Knox asked one back to the whole group. When Hudson and Thomas mentioned their latest business venture, they were surprised when Knox followed along and had input.