Chapter 16 - "I didn't know any of your songs inspired mosh pits."

"You losing your touch Hamilton?" Anders taunted from across the ping pong table, the ball poised in his hand, ready to serve.

Knox tried to concentrate as Anders hit the ping pong ball hard and sent it spinning across the table. He dove for it and caught it as it hit the edge, sending it back across the table, over the net. There was a burst of laughter to his right. He lost concentration as Anders put a spin on the ball and it went flying off the table in the opposite way Knox was going.

"Nine seven, I'm pulling ahead," Anders said.

Knox turned to retrieve the ball and saw Sky sitting in a circle of chairs, the Last Call guys gathered around her. He slowly walked to get the ball, using the time to observe the group. There were more people than just Sky and Last Call. There were several guys and girls that he recognized from the night before.

When they had reached the deck after leaving the lounge there had already been a group of people gathered around the fire pit. Anders has dragged Knox straight to the Ping Pong table where a small crowd gathered to watch. Elias and the boys had followed Sky over to the fire pit where she had introduced them around.

"If you could win that would be great," Johnny said. He came over to where Knox was getting the ball. Knox gave him a suspicious look.

"Is there anything you don't bet on?" he asked, walking back to the table.

"I owe Sky, how else am I suppose to pay her?" Johnny said. He went to join the crowd at the side of the table.

Knox threw the ball to Anders and waited, his eyes on the ball. Four serves later, Knox and Anders were tied, the next point being the game point. Knox glanced over at the crowd around the fire pit. James and Patch had turned and were involved in conversations with other people but Elias and Danny were still with Sky. He watched as Elias said something with a cheeky grin and she threw her head back laughing.

"A serve sometime tonight, would be great," Anders called out.

Knox turned back to the game and paused before he hit the ball hard, sending it into a back corner of the table. Anders was quick and hit it back. Sky's laughter rang out. Knox pulled his outstretched arm back by centimeters, just missing the ball as it bounced on the corner and on to the floor. Anders lets out a victorious shout. Half the crowd cheered, the other half, led by Johnny, let out a disappointed groan.

"Good game," Knox said. He bumped Anders' fist before turning towards the fire pit.

"Want a rematch?" Anders called out after him.

Knox didn't respond. "Hey," he said with a nod to a girl at the fire pit who noticed him. He moved past her, his sight set on a seat next to Danny. Sky was lost in silent laughter when Knox sat and he gave Elias and Danny a questioning look.

"We were just telling Sky about our touring mishap in Missouri," Elias explained.

"Did you win?" Danny asked. Sky regained control of herself.

"No," Knox said.

"That won't be good for Anders's ego. I don't think he'll forget this one anytime soon," she said. The reflection of the fire added an extra spark to her eyes.

"Not everyone can say they beat the great Knox Hamilton at ping pong," Elias said.

"I think you would be surprised by how big that number is," Knox said.

"What is this? The king humbling himself with the truth," Elias said.

"What happened to Johnny this time?" Sky asked, as Johnny yelled something and moodily slumped off.