The Electric Shock

Sham POV

Shaziah wore her helmet and i started my engine. She then signalled me to go back to headquaters to spread out our evidances we got.

I made our way to the headquarters when suddenly, my phone buzzed in the middle of the traffic. I ignored and continued to drive,staying focus on the slippery road that rained a few minutes earlier. The phone buzzed again and i still didnt pick.
"Sham, it should be something important. Why dont you pick it?" Shaziah said from behind.

"Im driving! Cant you see?" I voiced out, turning slightly behind. Without any delay, Shaziah slipped her hands into my pocket and attended the call. For a moment my heart skipped a beat.

"Tell me, Anwar. Is there any issue?" Shaziah talked and put the call on speaker.

"Yes. Please come back to the colony. Its an emergency!" Anwar talked from the other end. Hearing that, i quickly made a u-turn and sped to the colony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author POV

"The tap isnt working?! All these only happens whenever im cooking! Whats the point of him being a lecturer in college, when he cant even ask the secretary to extend the water fund!" Ms Selvi complained and left the tap opened and went on to the grinding machine. The grinding machine also didnt work as the current was cut at that point of time as well.

"There is something called as association and they do nothing but just eat up our money. When will i cook and when will i watch the dramas? Now there is no power and no water?! Great!"she mumbled to herself and walked towards the living room, leaving the grinder button switched on as well. Just then the phone rang and Ms Selvi started talking to her friend.

The water from the tap started flowing into the utensils in the sink. It then covered the entire sink with water and the water started to overflow the sink. It then made its way down the sink and flowed towards the faulty wires which was connected to the grinder. It then brought itself near the wire as if the water had its own life.

"The power came back and i have to take care of my housshold chores. Keep your phone okay?" Ms Selvi cut the call and put the phone. The fan in the living room switched on by itself, which indicated that the power was back. Ms Selvi made her way to the kitchen and saw the entire kitchen flooded.

"Aiyo! I must have forgotten to turn off the tap. At least now the blender should be working"she mumbled to herself and walked towards the blender. She placed one of her hand on the cover of the blender and the other on the switch.

The moment she switched on the blender, thousands of current passed through her and water and she was electrocuted and in that shock, she jumped up high and hit her head on the kitchen floor when she landed flat on the ground, letting the blood from her head ooze out rapidly.

Sham POV

Shaziah and I entered the apartment E6 and saw the investgators combing the crimescene again. There were some in the kitchen and others near the main electrical board, checking the voltage of the current passing by. Others outlined her body and some carried her body out. Ms Selvi's husband was being reassured by the fellow neighbours, back in the living room.

"What happened? What is the situation?" i said while taking out the gloves.

"Nobody can say when, death would strike us" Anwar told me as i walked out of the apartment. I took a glance at what Shaziah was doing and she was taking photgraphs of that scene.

"What do you think, Anwar?"i insisted.

"Fate. I guess. The rainwater had seeped in and the faulty wire got her electrocuted. The victim died on the spot" Anwar continued as we approached the basement.

"Is it Selvi from E6? No wonder. Karma has hit her back and she had a ghastly death. Now, there wouldnt be anyone here to curse others!"the other female residensts spoke to one another when we walked pass.

"Sham, its ordinary for two accidents to happen within a week and from this we can conclude that its natural" Anwar ended.

"But, with 8 blocks and 8 floors and approximate 256 flats in this colony, both the accidents are happened in the same block and same floor. Do you think its ordinary? Of course not!" I said slamming my hand against the ambulance. "Two flats in the same floor, just opposite each other, has a death taking place. Lets just wait for the post mortem results, then"I said.

"And one more thing Anwar. Shaziah and i, are only taking this case, not you. So try not to confuse us by saying this or that" i sneered and walked towards Shaziah who was coming with her pants slightly wet.

"What happened? Why is the sleeves of your pants wet?" I questioned.

"I forgot to fold my pants slightly, thats why it got slightly wet at the end. So, can we head back to the headquarters? Anwar, we shall take our leave then" Shaziah claimed and walked towards the parking lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sham POV

"So these are all we collated and its exactly like what is reported in this file! I see no difference!" Shaziah said as she slammed the files on the desk again.

"Its 99% proven that this is a suicide! Whats' the point of you reopening this case again?" Shaziah questioned.

"The higher officers have already combed the crime scene and they eventually concluded that it was sure, an attempted suicide. Look! These are the post moterm results. If you disagreeing to this, it means that you are insulting them!" she continued, slamming the report files on the desk.

"There is sure something wrong! I know well about Hamida, my Hamida and she wouldnt have commited suicide. Look, if you cant cooperate with me, feel free to leave. I didnt invite you to be as my partner!" I sneered, tossing the chair to one end of the room, leaving Shaziah rooted to her ground.

There was an awkward silience between us and both of us didnt spoke.

Shaziah's phone rang and broke the silience.

"Ms Selvi's post mortem results are out, Sham"she acknowledged and immediately rushed to her cabin and opened the email sent to her.

"Leaving the tap water open and leaving the live wire unattended has caused the death of Ms Selvi.." Shaziyah read off from the email.

I bent close to her and read off from the screen. It was indeed true. "Shit!" I screamed and slammed the table hard. Shaziya looked at me, petrified.

"Wait, Sham. I took some pictures and...this one especially. Look the current here states as 4500volts. Normally, in a house, only about 230 volts would be passed to the main circuit. Here, a large current, probably, half of a transformer is passed through her body. Isnt that fishy?" Shaziyah came forward and showed me the picture she took.

Seeing that, i went forward to hug her. However, she immediately pushed me away. "Sorry about that, but we have got a lead at last" i said, feeling half satisfied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Shall i drop you home? Its already 1 am!" I said to Shaziyah. She nodded a no and insisted that she would take a cab home.

"Wouldnt anyone search for you at home?" I questioned, leaning against my bike.

"No. No one has to be worried for me because i have no one. My father was also an intelligence officer and in one of missions, he gave his life for the country. I was about to finish my studies and move on further when these happened. The officials came knocking on my door and asked me to join. My mother said no but i insisted. I dont know why but i went for training and everything. My mom also passed away thinking about our life and didnt take her medication seriously. My aunt and uncle then took me in and now they are like my parents. I have never felt incomplete whenever im beside them. They let me take my own decisions and all.." Shaziyah said and wiped a tear.

"Hey, im sorry. I..i didnt mean to ask. Know what? Just hop on, i would leave you home!" I reassured her and drove her back home.