Part I Chapter 1 - Status

***Lynett***

My name is- was Aileen Woods. Recently, something unexpected happened.

I died. But that was not the "unexpected" part. Actually, I kind of awaited this -well, when you're sick, you are prepared for things like this to happen. No, the "unexpected" part was what came after. I was reborn. But that's not it. I was reborn in Erthia, a world that I created.

Right now, I am very conflicted about this. I mean, what would you do if one day, one of your creations suddenly came to life? This is supposed to be every artist's dream, but what if a random character you drew suddenly appeared next to you, in flesh and bones? You'd freak out, right? Well, in my case, it isn't just one character, it's a whole world.

It was a little hobby I had in my past life, since I had a lot of free time. I invented Erthia, a world of magic and swords. It's the kind of universe you see in every RPG games or novels. Yeah, the kind of world every kid dreams about.

I liked it, but I never thought one day that I would be living in it. And it is exactly because I was the one who created it that I know how dangerous it can be. Sure there is magic, but there are also dragons, brigands, slavers and wars. If I remember well, I think there is even a Demon Lord –yes I know, there was once a time I was childish like this and I included such a cliché element. Anyway, not the kind of world where you can lead a peaceful life.

I would be lying if I said that I never dreamt of becoming a hero, going on an epic journey to save the world, but this is the kind of dream you have when you're young and naïve. It's just like a child saying "I wanna become a superstar when I grow up". Moreover, after ten years of sickness and suffering, putting my life on the line for such an ideal purpose is the last thing I want. I already died once, no way I'm going to risk my new life like this. Right now, I just want a peaceful, normal life.

Anyway, in this life, I've been granted the name of Lynett Maedis. Most of people call me Lyni though, it's like a nickname, and they say it's cuter. I like it better to be honest, Lynett sounds a bit too girly and too childish for me. Just a matter of taste.

It's been six months since my rebirth, and I noticed some things.

I was born in a family of two. My mother's name is Azariah Maedis. She is a beautiful young elf. Well, I say young, but I'm not sure, really. She's an elf after all, she doesn't age like humans do. My brother, Aoban, is four years old, but he is quite a mature child for his age. He takes his role as a big brother very seriously. Whenever mother is busy, he stays by my side, watching over me. He's really patient -for a child, that is. I have yet to meet my father, but since I'm carrying my mother's surname, I'm guessing she's a single mother.

As I thought, our family is pretty poor. We're currently living in a cheap inn, the one I was born in. Mother doesn't really have a job. She does everything she can, running errands, washing dishes, helping the owner. She doesn't earn much but it's enough for the three of us to live.

The first months, I noticed something weird. Mother is really beautiful –she's an elf after all, all elves are beautiful, universal rule- but whenever she goes outside, she would wear a hood, partially hiding her beautiful features. It's such a waste. At first I didn't understand why, but now I think I know: she's hiding her ears. Agraal is a human kingdom. So far, beside mother who is an elf, I have yet to meet another race. There seem to be a strong discrimination against the other races, so it's no wonder mother is trying to hide the fact that she's an elf. The big question is: why is mother in a human kingdom to begin with? Besides a rare few kingdoms, the different races do not mix with each others. I'm curious. I'll ask her later.

Mother is being very careful in order not to get found out. When she went into labor, she categorically refused anyone in the room. The owner of the inn really panicked and insisted on calling a midwife, but mother turned down the offer, using the pretext that we were poor and didn't have enough money –which is not entirely false. Not convinced, the owner almost forced the door, but fortunately, the delivery was fast and I was born before it happened. Even after I was born, we barely went outside, since she was afraid that we would get found out.