Part I Chapter 4 - Her secret

***Lynett***

The sun gradually filled the sky with a warm glow, pushing away the darkness.

It was morning. But this morning was different than the other, this morning, we were running away.

I didn't get to sleep at all last night, the feeling of insecurity keeping me up. I know that mother never had the intention of settling down here –this is why we were living in an inn and why mother avoided to get involved with others in the first place- but I was born in this city. I lived almost two years here. It may seem like nothing, but right now for me, it's my whole life. I can't help but feel insecure about this unsure future. Where will we be going? How will we be living?

I wasn't the only who was feeling sad about it. Mother and brother both had to leave their friends behind. Aoban had Rivan and even mother, who tried her best not to get attached to anyone, had Leonara and Randy. It's regrettable, but we don't have the choice.

Mother didn't get to sleep either last night. She had to pack our things. We didn't have a lot since she was planning on travelling light, but she wanted to leave a clean room for the owners. I'm going to miss this messy little room.

We spent the last evening saying goodbyes. Everyone was taken aback when mother announced our sudden departure. We were assaulted by a large amount of questions as everyone demanded explanations. Why were we leaving? Why so suddenly? Where would we be going? But as secretive as she is, mother never gave a clear answer.

In a few hours, the entire neighborhood heard about it and the next hours, the inn was flooded with people. Everyone came to say goodbye, but I'm not good with goodbyes.

I hate those emotional moments. In my past life, I used to have a lot of friends, but as the years passed my number of friends quickly decreased. When I first got admitted at the hospital, a lot of people would come to visit me, but after the first month, most of them stopped coming. Only a few close friends would keep coming regularly. However, growing up, our paths diverged. A lot of them moved away, while the others were busy with their studies. So I tried making friends at the hospital, but it was worse. The kids I got along with at the hospital left me even faster. Some passed away, and those who recovered never came back at the hospital since it was a place filled with painful memories. In the end, I said goodbye to almost all my friends.

I'm used to say goodbye so I'll be fine. To be honest, besides mother and brother, I'm not really close to anyone, but I know it's different for them.

Ever since he woke up, Aoban has been really quiet. He has always been a pretty talkative child, talking about anything even when I wouldn't answer but right now, he seems really down. On the other hand, mother, who usually is pretty silent, started to talk a lot. She kept saying things like "it's going to be fine", or "it will be great". I think she was trying to reassure us.

Having finished to prepare herself, mother turned her gaze to brother."Are you ready?" She asked.

Aoban did not reply, instead, he simply nodded. Mother picked me up in her arms, and the three of us went downstairs, where Randy and Leonara were waiting for us.

"So you're really leaving..." Leonara sighed.

Mother politely bowed her head. "Yes. Thank you for everything. We weren't supposed to stay that long anyway..."

Randy answered with a weak smile. He then pointed at the single bag attached in her back. "Is that all you have?"

Mother nodded. She had packed a few clothes, Aoban's favorite books, some dried food and all our money. We sold the rest.