Part I Chapter 17 - Meeting

***Harri***

"So, can you hear them? What are they saying? Don't stay so silent, I also want to know!"

"Shut up, Harri. How am I supposed to concentrate if you keep talking?"

It's been a few minutes since the Creator left, after being summoned by the Lord of this place. Since we had nothing better to do, we decided to follow her –more or less. Technically, we're still in the courtyard. However, we moved to the other side of the mansion, where the lord's office was situated.

Standing just below the window, Yoko was leaning against the wall, her eyes closed and her arms crossed. She was focusing, eavesdropping on the conversation. I have no idea how she does that, considering how thick the exterior walls were, but I'm guessing it has something to do with her fox ears.

"Hey, say something. I'm bored."

"Shut up already."

Ah... The Creator should have given me some superior ears too. For how long am I supposed to stand still? Yoko's not even commentating anything; she's just listening, leaving me in the dark.

So I'm waiting. I just observe her, trying to guess the situation. From time to times, her eyelids would twitch and a wry smile appeared on her face. But otherwise, she stays impassible. However, the violent sways of her tail were speaking for herself: she was annoyed. Whatever she's hearing, it clearly doesn't please her.

"And this is why humans are so stupid..." Yoko eventually muttered, breaking the silence. "They never learn their place, do they?"

Yup. She's pissed. What did she hear? Biting her lips, she acted out her frustration silently for a few minutes, before her lips curled into an evil grin as her tails started to sway even more violently in her back. Wait, her tails? One, two, three, four, five...

"Yoko," I called her out. "Why are your nine tails out? Aren't you supposed to hide them?"

Turning her gaze to me, she narrowed her eyes before giving a quick glance in her back. She didn't even notice?

"Oops~! My bad, my bad!" She exclaimed as she made her tails disappear. "I got a little excited thinking about something, I forgot about self-control!"

Excited...?

"What did you hear?" I asked.

Without answering anything, a broad smile stretched on her face, slowly revealing all her teeth.

"Hey, Harri, want some action?"

I narrowed my eyes. "You know we can't fight, right?"

"Oh, come on! Not everything is about fighting!" She answered with a wry smile. "Let's have a truce! I found something much more interesting to do!"

"A truce? Of all people, to think you would be the one to call for a truce... What are you thinking of doing?"

"Just doing a little favor to the Creator!"

A wicked grin appeared on her face, stretching from one side to the other, showing every single tooth. I know this smile. It doesn't bode well for anyone. It's the same smile she always make when she's about to do one of her nasty pranks.

"Whatever you're thinking of doing, are you sure you're doing this for the Creator and not for yourself?" I asked, clearly showing my mistrust. "To me, it looks like you're quite enjoying the situation."

"Eh~! Come on, I haven't told you anything yet! How can you be judging so fast?" Her voice didn't match her expressions. There was a slight hint of concern in her tone, but the grin on her face suggested that her confidence didn't falter.