Part I Chapter 18 - System error

***Lynett***

After meeting Yoko and Harri, mother started to ask a lot of questions. Where were they from? How old were they? What did they do for a living? How did we meet? For how long have I known them? I mostly answered the same way I did with everyone else: they are a foreign couple that I happened to meet randomly, and I befriended them after they helped me.

Trying to give as little detail as possible –since lying too much will only backfire- I told her that I didn't know that much about them. However, without stating it clearly, I strongly suggested that they eloped, running away from the prejudices of being an interracial couple. When she understood this, mother immediately threw in the towel. She knew better than anyone else the struggles of being romantically involved with someone from another race, so I knew she would stop asking any more questions. Sorry for using your weakness against you, mom...

After that, I rejoined Yoko and Harri in the courtyard, where they were waiting for me.

"Are you done?" Harri asked, as he saw me approaching.

"Yeah, somehow. How was my mother's core?" I immediately inquired, turning my attention to Yoko.

"Intact," she responded. "There is nothing wrong with it."

I let out a relieved sigh, as it lifted a huge weight off my mind.

"Lynett, you said your mother was an elf, but isn't she a high-elf?" Yoko asked.

"Heh? That's right. Is there any differences?"

"Yeah, it's not really the same thing..." She muttered, as she started rubbing her chin. "Forget about it, what's wrong with her ears? They have such a weird shape. Is it a new fashion trend among mortals or something?"

Hearing her words, I felt a little offended as my eyes twitched. "Of course not... That's my stupid aunt's doing. I made sure she regretted it, though."

The two gods in front of me furrowed their eyebrow, as they quickly exchanged an inquiring glance.

"Is that so?" Harri asked. "But... Why didn't you grow them back? I mean, you're obviously bothered by it. When the minx lost one of her tails, she grew it back."

Widening my eyes, I turned my gaze on Yoko. "You once lost a tail?"

"Yeah. I got into a fight with Drakarth." She grunted, as I clearly saw the veins of her temples popping out. "This motherfucker... I made sure to return him the favor. No one touches my tails."

"... Drakarth? You pissed off the God of Anger? I knew you had some guts but...No wait. You grew your tail back? You can do that?! I was pretty sure you didn't have such a power!"

"And you're right, I don't." Yoko shrugged. "I don't have such a high affinity to the light attribute, so I asked Naia to do it for me. She owed me favor, you see?"

"Oh... Of course. I got my hopes up for nothing..." I sighed. "So you're saying that I need to find Naia if I want my mother's ears back?"

"Why would you need to find her?" Harri inquired, raising an eyebrow. "Can't you do it yourself? This much should be nothing for you. Aren't you the Creator?"

I let out a loud sigh. "That's the point... If I could, I would already have grown them back, but I can't. It's not like I didn't try, but the [System] won't let me do it."

"The System?" Yoko and Harri both repeated, as they narrowed their eyes.

"Yeah. At first, I thought I couldn't heal my mother's ears because of my lack of control, but for the past twelve years, I did practice a lot." I started to explain. "You know, there are a lot of stray animals wandering around the mansion. Since I feed them, they came to trust me and let me touch them. I'm not sure if they get into fights with each other or if the inhabitants mistreat them, but they're often badly injured, and some of them are even missing a toe, a tail or an ear. Uhm... It's a little cruel, but I've kind of been using them to practice healing magic."