Part II Chapter 39 - Slaver Camp

***Lynett***

Come on.

This has to be a joke. Why now, after all this time?

Ever since I received those error messages from the [World System], there isn't a single day I haven't checked the location of the unknown object with the [Map]. There wasn't much I could do from a distance, and I pretty much had zero information about it, but the [Map] at least allowed me to ease my mind by letting me know that it was inactive. And it is exactly because I checked its location every day that I can tell it moved.

The unknown object wasn't exactly on the move, or at least, at the map's scale, it didn't seem to be in motion. But it definitely moved from its original location.

Crap. I thought it was inactive, why did it relocate now?

It's not like I had planned to ignore this matter forever -I did receive a warning message from the [World System] after all, it wouldn't have been wise to turn a blind eye to it. But I had hoped it could have waited until I settled the matter with my uncle, and since it seemed inactive, I thought it wasn't urgent.

But now, it moved. What changed?

Maybe it's alive. Maybe it stayed dormant for all this time, and suddenly woke up for whatever reason. But the [World System] described it as an object, and I'm pretty sure it can make the difference between a living organism and an inanimate item. But then, if it's not alive and it's moving around, it means someone is moving it. And that is not good. Because it means there is a risk that someone will activate my little virus.

I definitely need to take action about this, but at the same time, I can't leave, not now. Should I just send someone else? It would be quite convenient if I could... but who? It would need to be someone both capable and trustworthy.

Thinking about this, my eyes fell upon the sleeping fox on me, letting out a long yawn, seemingly unbothered by the rhythmical shocks of the unicorns' hooves on the ground.

...Nah. Don't even think about it, Lynett. It's a fox. What can a fox do? Besides, you don't even know her that well yet. The [Contract] may prevent her from turning her back on me, but that doesn't necessarily make her trustworthy.

What's more, this is a potential world threat we're talking about. I can't entrust such an important matter to a spirit. She may be stronger than most mortals, she is not invincible either. I would need someone at least at a god's level to deal with that. And as it happens, I do know such people. But one left on a whim, and the other is keeping a close watch on my mother. As for the rest... I haven't gotten in touch with them yet, but even if I do, they won't necessarily be on my side.

Yep. That's a dead-end. Fuck.

"Big sister..." Axis' voice brought me back to the present moment.

I couldn't see the boy's face, but his tone sounded worried.

"What are you going to do once we get there?" he asked.

I frowned at his question.

"What do you mean?" I inquired. "I'm going to help your parents, isn't that what you wanted?"

"It is, but..." his voice grew weaker, hesitant, "how?"

How? I didn't really think about it. I must say I've been distracted by another problem. I casted my eyes up in the sky, pondering.

"Well, I'll figure it out on-site," I eventually concluded.

Unsatisfied by my answer, the boy turned around to give me a weird look.