Sleepovers

The doorbell rings and I groan. Too lazy to get up from the couch, I yell at the person.

"Who is it?"

When I don't get a response, I get off the couch, wrapping a blanket around my body as I make my way to the door. I pull open the door a crack, letting the frigid February air into the house.

Nathaniel and Delilah are standing on the porch. I quickly welcome them in. I give Nate a confused look and he smiles.

"Mom just wanted to stop in and see how the grandbaby was doing."

I rub my hand over my stomach.

"You're just in time. Baby is just waking up to take nightly foxtrot classes on my bladder."

Thankfully, everyone laughs at the joke, including my father as he appears from the laundry room.

"Oh. Dad, this is Nathaniel's mom, Delilah. Delilah, this is my father, Kaleb."

They shake hands, Delilah clearly unintimidated.

"It's so nice to finally meet the man who raised such a beautiful daughter."

"And you raised a great son filled with manners."

Compliments aren't his strongest skill. Insults are.

"I just wanted to discuss something with you while my son and Cecilia spent some time together, if that's alright with you."

"Of course. Let's move this conversation to the kitchen."

Since the house has thin walls, I motion Nate to follow me upstairs to my room. I sit down on the bed, propping my back against the headboard. Nate stands in the doorway, unsure of what exactly to do.

This is his first time in my room after all.

"Come sit with me."

With the invitation, he sits down by my legs.

"Have you fallen madly in love with me yet?"

I let out a laugh.

"That was random. And no."

This time, I'm telling the truth. My feelings haven't extended into that region yet.

"I was just curious. Just wanted to know when you were going to drop the act."

"Sorry to say, but it's not an act."

He frowns at my words. Before he can respond, Delilah calls his name.

"You stay here. I'll go see what she wants."

I ignore his request and stand at the top of the stairs as he speaks with her.

"Kaleb has agreed that you should stay the night and see what Cecilia goes through. All the bathroom trips, the hard time falling asleep, the mood swings, and everything else tied in with her pregnancy."

I already can guess how that conversation went. Delilah stating what she wanted Nate to do and my dad agreeing because he didn't want to upset such a nice woman.

"You will report to school tomorrow just like normal. I have a bag of clothes and your backpack in the car. Go get them and then I am leaving."

Nate doesn't hesitate to obey his mom's orders. When he is out the door, Delilah smiles at me.

"I hope you don't mind, darling."

"Not at all. I understand exactly what you are saying."

Nathaniel comes back into the house with a duffel and his backpack. Delilah hugs him and kisses his cheek. Butterflies go crazy in my stomach at the sight of Nate blushing from all his mother's attention.

"Good night and good luck dealing with him, Cecilia. Don't be afraid to give him a good smack upside the head if he misbehaves too much!"