Audience

Lili hides when Nate pulls up. He walks in with a grocery bag in his hand.

"I brought you some ice cream."

"Thank you! Can you put it in the freezer for now?"

He raises an eyebrow. I have never told him to put away a food he brought. I always devour it.

I check to make sure the booties are still under the blanket when he vanishes into the kitchen. They are.

"Alright. Spill."

"Spill what?"

"You never tell me to put food away. You always tell me to get you a spoon or something."

"Sit down. I need to speak with you."

He's a typical guy. The minute a woman says she needs to speak with them, face goes white as a sheet. He sits down by my feet.

"I went to get an ultrasound today and I found something out."

I pass over the ultrasound image and he stares at it intently. It takes him a few moments before his eyes widen and he blinks, obviously puzzled.

"Does this mean you're...?"

I pull out the booties, setting them on my stomach. He looks at them, then the photo, then at me.

"Twins?"

I nod, bracing myself for a reaction. He breaks out into a smile.

"You're having twins?!"

"Yes."

He's reacting like a real father would and it melts my heart.

"I can't believe you're having twins!"

He stands up, excited about the news.

"My mother is going to love this when she finds out!"

"Relax. I just found out myself!"

He drops to his knees at my head, his grin contagious. His eyes hold my attention captive for a minute, giving him an opening.

His grabs my face gently and presses his lips against mine.

I don't push him away.

When he realizes what he is doing, he breaks the kiss, a sheepish look on his face.

"I'm sorry. I just got excited."

He doesn't know how good that kiss felt to me. The only answer I can give back to him, reconnecting our lips.

Lili clears her throat, startling Nate.

"Forget about your audience, Celia?"

"No. Just wanted to give you a real show. You did pay a pretty penny to be here."

She emerges and winks at me. I wink back.

"Is there some kind of lesbian relationship going on between you two that I should know about?"

Lili and I both laugh.

"No."

He nods, accepting the answer as valid before taking my hand in his own.

What is this peculiar feeling shooting through the veins in my hand up to my heart?