Songs

Nate follows me eagerly into the house. My father is on the couch with the screaming twins in his arms. A noise comes from the kitchen, giving away Delilah's location. Nate scoops up Emerson and I take Julien. The relief on my dad's face is priceless. I take a peek over at Emerson and notice her mouth. She's making a sucking motion. She's hungry. I'm more than happy that she at least shows me when she is hungry.

Delilah appears in the living room with two bottles. She smiles when she sees Nathaniel standing so close to me with my daughter in his arms.

"Fresh for the hungry girls."

I thank her and stick the nipple into Julien's mouth. She sucks greedily on the tip, devouring the milk. Emerson does the same in Nate's arms.

"These girls love to sing. I've heard their wonderful songs several times each since I've been here. Diapers, food, and just some attention."

I laugh. She's right. The girls are attention hogs and they are just a week old.

"Give me my granddaughter. I never get the opportunity to feed her."

That's a lie. He is constantly helping me with feeding, bathing, and bed time. I couldn't ask for a better dad.

I pass her over and Delilah taps me on the shoulder. I turn to face her and she hugs me, whispering in my ear.

"Thank you for speaking with him, Cecilia."