Calls

I wait patiently for him to call back. After he walked 'me' across stage for graduation, I couldn't help but get emotional. Then Emerson woke up at the sound of me crying and she started to wail on her own. Julien decided to join in with her own little cries.

The entire thing would have been funny if it wasn't for the fact that it took forever to settle them down.

My phone screen finally lights up with Nate's name. I accept the call and his handsome face appears. This time, I can see more of what's going on behind him.

"Are you on a laptop?"

"Yes. I wanted to show you the after party and allow you to chat with some people, so I called you on the computer."

"Thank you."

"I'm sorry you couldn't have been there for the real thing. I did the best I could with Dr. Kamryn's permission."

"It was perfect. Thank you so much."

"It was my pleasure. Dr. Kamryn would like to speak with you before I bring you into the party, okay?"

"Alright, put her on."

Dr. Kamryn's face joins the screen.

"Hello, Cecilia. I'm sorry you couldn't make it to graduation tonight. How are the twins?"

I smile and take a glance at Emerson, who is fast asleep, in my arms.

"They are just wonderful."

"Can I see them?"

"Or course! This is Emerson."

I angle the phone camera down so that the baby can be seen on the other end.

"Aww."

I lean over a little to wear Julien is strapped into her bouncer.

"And this is Julien."

"Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your time at the party."

"I just wish I could really be there."

"I understand, but the duties of motherhood are already calling your name."

"You can say that again."

"It was good talking with you, Cecilia."

"And the same with you, Dr. Kamryn."

"Have a nice evening."

"You too."

She disappears and Nate is left.

"Ready to have some fun?"

"Always."

"Watch the girls' ears. The music is loud."

"Let me put Emerson down."

I stand up, using my phone to help cradle Emerson's behind. I lay her down in the crib before grabbing Julien to do the same. Once they are peacefully in their cribs, I exit my bedroom, leaving the door open a crack.

"Ok. Girls are asleep and I'm in the living room. Let's party."