Trifecta

...family, friends, and teachers sit at tables around the decent sized room. Pink, Blue, and white decorations are strung around the room. Two balloons shaped like baby carriages hang on either side of a banner with the word, 'CONGRATS!', printed on it. I let my mouth hang open in shock.

"You did all of this?"

Lili nods vigorously, proud of her work. I give her a hug. When I let go, Nathaniel comes over to me, wrapping me in his arms.

"Did we surprise you?"

"Wait, you were in on this too?"

"Yes."

I smack his arm playfully.

"Is this why you've been avoiding me? You've been planning a party?"

"No. I was avoiding you because your dad threatened to chop my jewels off if I hurt your feelings."

"Are you serious?"

"He did say that, but yes. I was planning the party for you. Do you like it?"

"Of course! Thank you guys so much!"

I pull them in for the best group hug I can manage. I spot Delilah and a young woman approaching us.

"Cecilia, I would like you to meet my daughter, Audrey. Audrey, this is Nathaniel's girlfriend."

Oh I love the sound of that title on me.

I shake her hand.

"It's so nice to finally meet you! I was wondering when I'd meet the girl who put the ideas of me falling madly in love with him into Nate's head."

"Don't worry. You may deny that now, but you'll fall for him. I can guarantee it."

And I'm not far off.

She winks at me and laughs. She walks away from our little group that is forming. My feet start to hurt.

"Come on. I want to sit down."

My reserved seat is close to the door, the bathrooms, and the food.

The trifecta of a pregnant woman.

An escape, relief, and satisfaction.