Diapers

I pat Julien's back rocking side to side gently. Lili exits the bathroom, twirling around in the room to show me her graduation dress.

"Like it?"

"It looks great on you."

"Thanks. I just wish you could come to graduation."

"I'm not going to force somebody to watch the girls while I go out and graduate."

"Bring them."

"Their immune systems are too weak. They are susceptible to so many different kinds of illnesses. If I take them out and they get sick, I'd be kicking myself in the butt."

She nods, approaching my dresser. She puts in her earrings. Julien finally burps, startling herself so bad that she poops herself.

I laugh and walk her over to the changing table. I unbutton her onesie and grab a fresh diaper. Emerson, who is laying in her crib, starts to cry.

"I got her."

Lili crosses the room and picks up the wailing infant.

"Put her in her bouncer with her pacifier. It's very soothing for her."

And the only way she calms down when she wakes up screaming in the middle of the night.

I finish changing Julien's diaper, setting her down in her own bouncer. A quick squirt of hand sanitizer on my hands after throwing away the diaper and I'm ready to feed a hungry Emerson.

"Come here baby girl."

Just picking her up reveals that she's not hungry, she also needs a diaper change.

"You two are just poop machines."

Emerson waves her little fists in the air, stretching. The cold wipe against her bottom makes her eyes go wide in shock. She doesn't cry.

"I'm heading out to meet Kathrine and Lacey. I'll see you later!"

"Tell them I say hi!"

"Do I have permission to show baby pics?"

"Do you have any on your phone?"

"A few."

"As long as the babies are fully dressed and so am I."

"Okay. Bye!"

She exits and Nate enters. He's wearing a button-down with a tie.

"You look very handsome."

"And you look beautiful."

He kisses my forehead before picking Emerson up off the table.

"Are you excited for tonight?"

"Yes, but I wish that you would be there. I'm going to miss you."

"You'll see me soon enough."

"Still. I just wish the girls didn't come so soon."

"But you love them being here, don't you?"

"Of course. I love them unconditionally."

"That's all that matters. I love you. I have to go. I'll see you later."

"Have a fun night. Please take pictures of the after party for me!"

"Will do!"