Wishes

Nathaniel hands me a cup of hot chocolate, sitting on the floor near my head.

"So he took a plea deal?"

"Yes."

"That means that you had a strong enough case to scare him off. That's good."

"I'm just glad I don't have to sit in front of an entire court room and relive that night. Once was more than enough."

I take a sip and let out a little moan. French vanilla and hazelnut coffee creamer. Just how I like it and just the perfect blend of it too.

"Like the hot chocolate much?"

I smile at him and laugh.

"You made it perfectly. Just the way my mother used to make it."

At the mention of my mother, he perks up.

"Oh. I didn't know that. Your father just told me how you like it."

After years of making it wrong and me busting his chops, in a playful manner, he actually knew how to make it?

"My mom used to put hazelnut and French vanilla coffee creamer in because the milk didn't have any flavor. I remember her making me a cup for whenever I returned to the house from playing in the snow. We would both sit at the counter with our mugs in hand, chatting about the day."

"Do you ever miss her?"

"Every day. I wish she was to give me advice on my screwed up life right now."

"How is your life screwed up?"

"First, I'm pregnant with a rapist's babies."

"That's not your fault. You didn't ask for it."

"I just wish she was here to help me with..."

I want to say 'my developing feelings for you', but I'm not ready to lose the deal. Wait. The deal ended when I told him Harrison is the father.

"With what, Celia?"

"...there to help me with this pregnancy."

He takes my mug from my hands, setting it on the coffee table before leaning in.

"I'm sure if she was here right now, she would tell you that you are an amazingly strong woman and are doing just fine."

My hormones start to act up again, tears springing into my eyes. One spills over and he wipes it with his thumb.

"Stop making me cry, Nate."

I do my best to laugh but all I can think of is how sweet he's being.

I wonder if he knows the deal is over.

Is he just staying for me?