Love

I stare at his text for a solid five minutes, trying to comprehend his words. Does he really mean it? Does he love me?

The front door opens and Nate walks in, a broad smile on his face. I sit up and swing my feet off the couch. He rushes over to me in his response.

"I love you, Cecilia."

I give him a confused look, startled by his sudden behavior.

"What brought this on so quickly?"

He takes my hand in his, pressing a kiss to my skin.

"My mom opened my eyes earlier."

Thank god for Delilah!

"To what?"

"To the fact that life is short! She told me that there is no time like the present and that if I love you, I have to tell you."

"So this is real?"

"Yes. 100% the honest truth. I love you Cecilia!"

He doesn't even give me a chance to respond. His lips move against mine.

The kiss isn't tender and slow.

It's quick and filled with emotions that were bottled up for too long.

I react by returning the kiss. His hand cups the back of my head. Electricity travels through my veins. I'm breathless instantly.

When his lips pull back from mine, I instantly crave them again. He rests his forehead against mine the best he can, looking into my eyes.

"I love you, Cecilia."

"Since when?"

"Since the first day I realized how beautiful you were in ninth grade. I just wish I had the guts to ask you out sooner."

His words give me a weird reaction.

I'm scared.

He's serious about this 'love' business.

What if I never love him back?

What if I end up breaking his heart?

"I-I don't know what to say."

He slowly shakes his head.

"You don't have to say anything, Celia. I just wanted to let you know that I love you."

"Is that the 'L' word I hear getting thrown around there?"

We both jump at the sound of my father's voice. Neither one of us heard him come in.

"Yes, sir. I love your daughter."

Nate proudly holds my hand while he states this fact.

By the look on my father's face, he is not pleased with Nathaniel's statement.

"Follow me outside for a minute. I want to have a little chat with you."

I instantly worry as I watch my dad take Nate out onto the back patio. His voice is too low for me to hear, but he looks mad and he's pointing his finger at Nate.

Never a good sign.

Two kicks in my womb signal that the twins are awake. Not even a minute after they wake up, I get the strong urge to use the bathroom.

I unwillingly drag myself off the couch and to the bathroom to relieve myself.