Smacks

"Why were you so eager to get out of the bathroom at the store?"

"Harrison's mom was in there and she was chatting with me."

"What?"

"I don't think she recognized me. I think I've gained too much weight."

"She recognized you. She was just prying the information out of you to feed to her dirt bag son in prison."

"That's why I lied to her when I answered most of her questions."

"Good. If anyone associated with Harrison ever comes near you again, tell me and I'll take care of it."

His tone is threatening. I know, after spending the past few months with him, he will protect me.

We pull up to his house and I step out into the warm May air. I go to grab one of the grocery bags to help Nate out, but he waves me away.

"I don't want you carrying in heavy grocery bags when you are 30 weeks pregnant. You can help me by opening the door."

I do as he says, holding open the door and following him into the kitchen. Delilah is seated at the table, sorting through papers.

"Thank you, Nathaniel."

"You're welcome, Mom."

"Hello, Cecilia! You look amazing!"

Delilah wraps her arms around me the best she can. Nate sets the bags down on the counters, beginning to unpack them. I reach over to help Nate but he moves my hand away from the bags, yet again.

"You go and relax."

I do as he says, sitting at the table with Delilah.

"May I ask what you are doing?"

I motion to the papers she has spread out and sorted.

"Oh! I have so many recipes printed out that I have no idea what to do with them!"

"I didn't think you used paper recipes. I thought you would use books."

"I do. Audrey keeps printing recipes out and giving them to me to try. I copy them down into my own personal book and then have no use for them!"

"Wow."

"I finally had some time to relax and decided to sort through them."

"That's good."

"And how are my grandbabies and their mother doing?"

"Excellent, thankfully."

"Has Nate been very supportive in your labor and breathing classes?"

"Yes. I couldn't have asked for a better person."

I leave out the fact that Lili is also attending the classes in case Nate can't make it or drops out at last minute. Nate puts his arm around me and sets down the jar of olive before giving me a quick kiss on the lips. Delilah smacks his head.

"Nathaniel Thomas King! Show some respect in front your mother!"

I hold back a laugh as Nate apologizes.

"Sorry, Mom."

"Save that for the privacy of closed doors."

"Yes, Mom."