Godfathers

April rolls around faster than expected. My stomach keeps getting larger. Nate keeps getting sweeter.

Burying my feelings keeps getting harder.

It isn't love, thank gosh, it's just something a little stronger than a crush. I've tried so hard to prevent it from happening. Just so that I would have the satisfaction of telling Nate, 'Ha! I don't love you! Your sister's romance books have it all wrong!'.

But it's getting harder. I don't know if he's really trying to make me fall or if he's just genuinely nice. I'm not even sure if he knows the deal is kind of pointless now.

"Here. Take it before the birds get it."

I smile and take the bag out of Lili's hand. One strawberry doughnut with rainbow sprinkles sits at the bottom of the bag.

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it."

I take a bite of the doughnut and wipe my face from the sugary goodness.

"This isn't you trying to butter me up to get the title of godmother, is it?"

She dramatically puts a hand to her chest, gasping.

"I would never! How dare you say that about me!"

"You aren't competing with anybody, Lili. You're my only friend."

"I heard Nate has a sister. Isn't she in the running?"

I forgot all about her. What was her name again? Ariana? Adelaide? Ashley? I know it was something with an 'A'.

"There is two babies. You can be the godmother of one. She can be the godmother of another."

"Fair enough. Have any godfathers in mind?"

"Not really."

"What about Nate?"

I give her my classic, 'Are you kidding me?', look.

"Don't you think that would be a little awkward? I mean, he's posing as the father right now."

"It was just a thought."

"Maybe I won't pick any godfathers."

"What? You have to!"

"Where's the law showing me that I have to pick godparents in general?"

"Fine! I don't care about godfathers! I just want a title tying me to the little human growing in your stomach!"

I can't help but laugh at her behavior. This, ladies and gentlemen, is my best friend.

"Only you would be this weird."

"But you love me like a sister!"

"I can't deny that."