Ifs

"Just talk to him. I hate seeing you like this."

"I'll get over it."

"No. You won't. Remember that time you broke up with Branson Richards?"

I shudder at the memory. Seventh grade I dated Branson Richards, the school bad boy. Then, three months later, I found out that he was dating me just because of a dare.

I cried for months after.

"I don't want to remember that. That was not my best time in life."

"Please talk to him."

"No."

"He might have a good reason for kissing that girl."

I pull the tubes and everything off of my breasts, shutting off the pump.

"I've just got to face the music. He was just faking it until he got what he wanted."

"And what was that?"

"The girls to have his name."

She rolls her eyes, patting Emerson's back.

"I doubt it. He cares for you, Celia."

"Don't lie to me."

I pour the collected milk into the baby bottle and straighten my shirt. I hear a gas bubble escape from Emerson.

"I wouldn't lie to you but believe as you please."

"It was just a cover for the pregnancy thing. Nothing more."

"Then tell Dr. Kamryn about the smoking thing."

"It wouldn't do anything now that he's graduated."

"You do realize that he would have missed a day of school if we didn't end on the fifteenth. He would have destroyed his record for the birth of the twins."

"No he wouldn't have. He would have skipped the birth because they aren't his kids."

"That's going to be one of history's big ifs now isn't it?"

"Yes."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poor Celia! How could Nate do that to her! Why would he do that to her?!

Any predictions on the next chapter?