You're Not The Reason

Eleven's P.O.V -
I was ready for mike to tell me what's wrong. I know him and it's probably something really serious.

"El... do you know what a relationship is ?" He looks at me kinda nervous.

A relationship? I ask. I mean after watching tv a lot in hopper's cabin, I've come to know that a relationship is a girl and boy thing. And that's about it...

"Yeah. A relationship."
Mike continued to explain what a relationship was but again, i wasn't paying attention. I was too busy wondering why he brought it up... wait. Could mike maybe want to be in a relationship thing with me?... I ask so like in the tv?

"Yeah pretty much but way less dramatic than that." I didn't understand what that meant but i asked him why he asked about it. Then came those words i've been longing.

"I want to be in a relationship with you El... i really like you and I-". I stopped him right there because really what was the difference from a relationship and being friends? I say quickly. I don't know i said that. I guess i'm just scared that i'll mess things up... like i always do.

Mike explained that it's different because you care about the person. In a romantic way? What does he mean by romantic? I stop mid sentence to ask him why.

"It's like when you're in love and stuff.." What is love ? I've heard it many times but i have no clue what it means. I ask him what love is, not meaning to stop him again but then he got mad.

"El just let me finish ok?!" He says quickly but i saw the regret in his eyes. He cursed under his breath and suddenly i start crying. I don't even know why but i do and once they start, i can't make them stop. I didn't want him to see me cry so I ran and i ran until i couldn't stop.

"El stop wait ! I'm sorry!" Mike said barely catching his breath. But he wasn't the reason I was crying. I know Mike got frustrated and that's why he yelled at me. But that's not why i'm crying.

I ran outside hoping to escape Mike and just be alone. But there he was right behind me. I stopped and sat down on a bench. The cold air was inviting.

"El."

I turn to see Mike out of breath and sweating. I laugh and blush at the sight of him. He looks confused and not sure of what's happening.

I sigh and say...Mike, you're not the reason i'm crying.

"What? But i said something mean to you! I yelled at you. I-"

I sigh and ask him to sit down next to me. I look into those mesmerizing eyes and say in the softest voice possible....

I love you.